Jellyfin Forum
re-built a jf server, need suggestions... - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: re-built a jf server, need suggestions... (/t-re-built-a-jf-server-need-suggestions)

re-built a jf server, need suggestions... - justtrife - 2024-08-24

so I built a pc to run jellyfin on and I wanted some opinions on if/where I would need to upgrade or if the specs I have should handle everything I need, end goal is the ability to have 20 people streaming at once, I already have this hooked up to a 2.5gbit line as of this post, I plan on adding a 5 bay das w/ 20tb hdds to stop the "space fragmentation" I have now, specs are as follows...

b360m mortar
i9-9900k
32gb ddr4 (3600}
arc a770 oc
1x2tb nvme (c drive) 
2x8tb hdd
1x20tb hdd
1x1tb hdd
1x2tb usb

and of course a bunch of fans to keep it cool

any ideas/constructive criticism is greatly appreciated

RE: re-built a jf server, need suggestions... - TheDreadPirate - 2024-08-24

It should be fine. As long as all 20 don't need HDR content tone mapped at the same time. Not sure what would be able to handle that kind of load. If your content is mostly SDR, it should be fine.

Also consider just connecting the drives via SATA internally in the computer instead of in an external DAS device.

RE: re-built a jf server, need suggestions... - justtrife - 2024-08-25

I'm planning on having 100tb of raided space (6x20tb) my current case (tower 300) can only house 3 naturally, I actually just have one cold chilling on the bottom gpu space, will have to move when gpu arrives, board only handles 4 naturally, I have a pci-e raid card, it MAY fit but the board is matx and I know I'm going to end up sitting those lanes, board is a b360m mortar so I already have to run my ram slower (3600, board caps at 2666 at the high end)

RE: re-built a jf server, need suggestions... - HansBKK - 2024-08-25

(2024-08-24, 04:47 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: consider just connecting the drives via SATA internally in the computer instead of in an external DAS device.
Is this because of the chance the SFF-8088 breakout cables may get physically disconnected?

I'm planning on using external DAS enclosures for a backup NAS I'm building, no storage drives in the SFF compute unit at all.

RE: re-built a jf server, need suggestions... - TheDreadPirate - 2024-08-25

It depends on your use case, but I've noticed that people tend to think that their media storage CAN'T be directly attached to their Jellyfin server. It HAS to be on a NAS. Or some other external enclosure.

IMO, it just adds complexity with no clear benefit. It's another device/OS to manage.

RE: re-built a jf server, need suggestions... - justtrife - 2024-08-25

(2024-08-25, 09:42 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: It depends on your use case, but I've noticed that people tend to think that their media storage CAN'T be directly attached to their Jellyfin server.  It HAS to be on a NAS.  Or some other external enclosure.

IMO, it just add complexity with no clear benefit.  It's another device/OS to manage.

this was my initial worry as well, the bottleneck caused by the external connection compounded by the hdd r/w speeds, I seen they're releasing the tower 600, I'll be buying that and doing a btf/pz jellyfin build, as long as the case can naturally fit all the hdds, leaving them as internal should be no issue, I just didn't want a HUGE case as my gaming pc is inside of a tower 900 and I just can't...