Jellyfin Forum
Recognized Playlists containing Subdirectories are emtpy - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+---- Forum: Media Scanning & Identification (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-media-scanning-identification)
+---- Thread: Recognized Playlists containing Subdirectories are emtpy (/t-recognized-playlists-containing-subdirectories-are-emtpy)

Recognized Playlists containing Subdirectories are emtpy - evilbaschdi - 2024-08-28

Good Morning,

I'm very new to Jellyfin and became aware of that project by a knowledge base article of Synology regarding the removal of their Video Station with DSM 7.2.2.
One of the solutions / alternatives mentioned was to host "jellyfin" inside a docker container and here I am.

Inside the Docker setup, I've mapped my directory containing videos, and the one containing music.
Than I've set up the libraries and the library scan did its job.

As far as I did see, everything was recognized correctly. Talking about single files even metadata have been extracted correclty and music was grouped by their albums and / interprets.
Beside of that my music library is managed by playlists by artist inside an artist folder and as subdirectories their are the albums.

Quote:music
=> artist1
=> artist1.m3u
==> album1
===> file1.mp3
===> file2.mp3
==> album2
===> file1.mp3
===> file2.mp3

That m3u files are generated by an application called "mp3tag" that would generate the following output

Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0, -
album\file.mp3
(its 0 seconds, becaus it was just a dummy file)

means, it uses relative paths without any "../" or "..\" or something else as a prefix.

After the library scan was completed, I had a look into the playlists. Some are containing their correct contents, some dont' or are completly empty.
First I thought, that maybe the scan run into an issue and might have to be executed again. But then yesterday evening I again had a look at the problem and might have found some similarities of the playlist that are emtpy.similaritied
It seems like the problem occurs in cases the media file listed inside the m3u playlist is not placed in the same directory as the playlist.
What would I have to change here? What is causing the problem? Weary-face

RE: Recognized Playlists containing Subdirectories are emtpy - TheDreadPirate - 2024-08-28

In general, Jellyfin prefers absolute paths. But I thought that playlists should still work if the relative path is correct from where the playlist file is located.

I'll chat with some of the devs and get back to you.

RE: Recognized Playlists containing Subdirectories are emtpy - TheDreadPirate - 2024-08-28

So relative path support for playlists was added in this PR.

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/pull/11487

This PR was right before 10.9 was released so it should have been part of 10.9.0 and onward.

At one point I had a playlist file with relative paths in my library. I'll dig that up and try it again and get back to you.

Relative path m3u's appear to work for me.

This is from inside the playlist.  It constructed the full path from a relative path m3u.

Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:245,Stand By Me - Florence + The Machine -
test/1 - Stand By Me.mp3
#EXTINF:248,Jimmy Buffett - Margaritaville
test/2- Margaritaville.mp3
#EXTINF:164,TAPPY - Metal Gear Solid Main Theme
test/3 - Metal Gear Solid Main Theme.mp3
#EXTINF:117,Ko Otani - A Violent Encounter (Battle With the Colossus)
test/4 - A Violent Encounter (Battle With the Colossus).mp3
#EXTINF:141,Seiichi Fukami, Yuji Takenouchi, Junya Nakano - Here Comes The Hero (Stage 1)
test/5 - Here Comes The Hero (Stage 1).mp3
#EXTINF:194,Hitoshi Sakimoto - Bloody Battle B
test/6 - Bloody Battle B.mp3
#EXTINF:218,Nobuo Uematsu - Crazy Motorcycle
test/7 - Crazy Motorcycle -.mp3
#EXTINF:260,Gunnm - Rusty Angel
test/8 - Rusty Angel.mp3
#EXTINF:377,Mai Yamane - The Real Folk Blues
test/9 - The Real Folk Blues.mp3
#EXTINF:347,To Far Away Times - Yasunori Mitsuda -
test/10 - To Far Away Times.mp3

Code:
chris@rat-trap:/media/storage2/Music$ ls -lR
.:
total 8
drwxrwsr-x 2 chris jellyfin 4096 Aug 28 17:46 test
-rw-r----- 1 chris jellyfin  900 Aug 28 17:45 test.m3u

./test:
total 68572
-rw-r----- 1 chris jellyfin 13944456 May 24  2023 '10 - To Far Away Times.mp3'
-rw-r----- 1 chris jellyfin  7884885 May 24  2023 '1 - Stand By Me.mp3'
-rw-r----- 1 chris jellyfin 10008307 May 24  2023 '2- Margaritaville.mp3'
-rw-r----- 1 chris jellyfin  6674366 May 24  2023 '3 - Metal Gear Solid Main Theme.mp3'
-rw-r----- 1 chris jellyfin  4759409 May 24  2023 '4 - A Violent Encounter (Battle With the Colossus).mp3'
-rw-r----- 1 chris jellyfin  5648097 Sep  9  2020 '5 - Here Comes The Hero (Stage 1).mp3'
-rw-r----- 1 chris jellyfin  7363133 May 24  2023 '6 - Bloody Battle B.mp3'
-rw-r----- 1 chris jellyfin  3542519 May 24  2023 '7 - Crazy Motorcycle -.mp3'
-rw-r----- 1 chris jellyfin  4234489 May 24  2023 '8 - Rusty Angel.mp3'
-rw-r----- 1 chris jellyfin  6142987 May 24  2023 '9 - The Real Folk Blues.mp3'

RE: Recognized Playlists containing Subdirectories are emtpy - evilbaschdi - 2024-09-01

that's exact what is working for me and what I tried to mention above

/test/1 - Stand By Me.mp3 => means, "1 - Stand By Me.mp3" is located directly under "test" => the playlist shows the song correctly
/test/Shadow of the Colossus Roar of the Earth/1 - Stand By Me.mp3 => means "1 - Stand By Me.mp3" is NOT located directly under "test" but its album name => the playlist does not show the song