Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: Container Not Launching - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: Container Not Launching (/t-solved-container-not-launching)

Pages: 1 2

Container Not Launching - jkboi - 2024-09-01

Hello friends! I am having an issue where I cannot get the JF container I am trying to launch on my Ubuntu 24.04 server running 6.0.36 with docker compose version 2.20.3.

This is the contents of my compose.yml

jkboyo@limitedpower:/srv/appdata/jellyfin$ cat compose.yml
services:
  jellyfin:
    image: lscr.io/linuxserver/jellyfin:latest
    container_name: jellyfin
    environment:
      - PUID=1000
      - PGID=1000
      - TZ=EST/UTC
      - JELLYFIN_PublishedServerUrl=192.168.0.5 #optional
    volumes:
      - /srv/appdata/jellyfin:/config
      - /media/vault/shows:/data/tvshows
      - /media/vault/movies:/data/movies
      - /media/vault/homevideos:/data/homevideos
      - /media/vault/music:/data/music
    ports:
      - 8096:8096
      - 8920:8920 #optional
      - 7359:7359/udp #optional
      - 1900:1900/udp #optional
    restart: unless-stopped

This is the response to something TheDreadPirate asked me to type in earlier.

jkboyo@limitedpower:/srv/appdata/jellyfin$ sudo journalctl -u docker.service -n 200 --no-pager
-- No entries --

As well as the original message that explains some of the stuff I tried trying to get this to launch

"hey there! trying to launch a New JF container with docker compose and I keep getting the error no configuration file provided: not found.  I have the docker compose

jkboyo@limitedpower:/srv/appdata/jellyfin$ ls -l
total 8
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 598 Aug 31 21:40 docker-compose.yml

this is the permissions for it bc I am guessing it's maybe a permissions thing.
I am running the docker compose up command in this same dir but it's still mad
and I tried doing it with the file named docker-compose.yaml as well."

if there is anything else that I can provide to try to help fix the issue please let me know. I am losing my mind bc I feel like this should be really simple and I feel like I just keep missing something super basic.

RE: Container Not Launching - TheDreadPirate - 2024-09-01

The journalctl command wouldn't output anything for docker setups.

Code:
sudo docker logs jellyfin

Make sure that the user you are running the container as, which appears to be your user, can access /srv/appdata/jellyfin. Remember that your user needs to be able to access each step in that path.

RE: Container Not Launching - jkboi - 2024-09-01

(2024-09-01, 07:23 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: The journalctl command wouldn't output anything for docker setups.

Code:
sudo docker logs jellyfin

Make sure that the user you are running the container as, which appears to be your user, can access /srv/appdata/jellyfin.  Remember that your user needs to be able to access each step in that path.

so its showing this

jkboyo@limitedpower:/srv/appdata/jellyfin$ sudo docker logs jellyfin
[sudo] password for jkboyo:
Error response from daemon: No such container: jellyfin

For some reason it seems like the stuff I did hasn't been working.  Do I use chmod to change the permissions of this dir?

I also am fine with creating a user for this application if need be. Also if there is a detailed tutorial for doing what I am trying to do feel free to point me to that. Most of the ones I keep trying to find aren't doing what I am trying to do so I am running into issues.

Ok. So the container isn't even beginning to start.

Let's look at the docker daemon logs.

Code:
sudo journalctl -u docker.service -n 200 --no-pager

And what are the permissions on the config directory?

Code:
sudo ls -ld /srv /srv/appdata /srv/appdata/jellyfin

jkboyo@limitedpower:/srv/appdata/jellyfin$ sudo ls -ld /srv /srv/appdata /srv/appdata/jellyfin
[sudo] password for jkboyo:
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Aug 30 04:58 /srv
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Aug 30 04:39 /srv/appdata
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Sep  1 19:10 /srv/appdata/jellyfin

I already did the top command you asked for the output is in the original post.

The journalctl command in my last post was for the docker service, not jellyfin. And your user doesn't have permissions to write to that directory

Code:
sudo mkdir -p /srv/appdata/jellyfin
sudo chown -R jkboyo: /srv/appdata

Still no entries with the modified command you gave me.

ran the chown and the stuff is owned by my user now.  Didn't remake the dir since it already existed.

jkboyo@limitedpower:/srv/appdata/jellyfin$ sudo ls -ld /srv /srv/appdata /srv/appdata/jellyfin
drwxr-xr-x 3 root  root  4096 Aug 30 04:58 /srv
drwxr-xr-x 3 jkboyo jkboyo 4096 Aug 30 04:39 /srv/appdata
drwxr-xr-x 2 jkboyo jkboyo 4096 Sep  1 21:51 /srv/appdata/jellyfin

Still got the same no configuration file error. When you launch a container do you setup a Dockerfile and then a docker-compose.yaml or should it just be the docker-compose.yaml

RE: Container Not Launching - AGiLiT - 2024-09-01

Throwing my 2 cents in here. I was running 10.8.13 in a docker container on my WD NAS quite happily. I tried to start the FireTV Jellyfin app, which I hadn't used for a while and got a message that I needed to upgrade to 10.9.9 or later. I recreated my image and container with jellyfin:latest on my NAS and got the 'refused to connect' error. I went back and recreated 10.8.13 and had no problems. I went back and tried 10.9.1 and got the 'refused to connect' error.

SO: something happened in the jump from 10.8.13 to 10.9 that is causing the problem.

(2024-09-01, 10:16 PM)AGiLiT Wrote: Throwing my 2 cents in here.  I was running 10.8.13 in a docker container on my WD NAS quite happily.  I tried to start the FireTV Jellyfin app, which I hadn't used for a while and got a message that I needed to upgrade to 10.9.9 or later.  I recreated my image and container with jellyfin:latest on my NAS and got the 'refused to connect' error.  I went back and recreated 10.8.13 and had no problems.  I went back and tried 10.9.1 and got the 'refused to connect' error. 

SO:  something happened in the jump from 10.8.13 to 10.9 that is causing the problem.

This has nothing to do with that. This is a brand spanking new container on a server that hasn't had JF b4.  

The error is actually docker related I'm just having trouble finding the reason I can't get the container to launch.

If you are using a docker compose you only use docker compose.

Also, if you didn't see anything for the journalctl for the docker service, is docker running or installed?

Code:
sudo systemctl status docker
sudo apt list --installed | grep docker