Jellyfin Forum
TCL Roku TV AV1 - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: TCL Roku TV AV1 (/t-tcl-roku-tv-av1)

TCL Roku TV AV1 - soxrok2212 - 2023-08-24

Hi, I have a TCL 75R655 Roku TV. I read the supported codecs page and saw Roku supports AV1, so I began converting my library to AV1 but when streaming to my TV, it transcodes to H264.

Are Roku TVs not supporting AV1? 

Thanks!

RE: TCL Roku TV AV1 - bitmap - 2023-08-24

Need more info like the model number, if you have the link to the page where this technical information is that would be helpful.

EDIT: Reading comprehension is helpful. Sorry, was a busy day.

Also, AV1 support on Roku is spotty. I bought a Roku Ultra as well as a new gen Roku stick with the idea that they support AV1. Turns out they don't really support it except in specific circumstances (DASH) and will always call for it to be transcoded when receiving it from Jellyfin. My guess is that your TV is the same. You can likely sideload your AV1 videos, but that defeats the purpose. Once you share more info, we might be able to investigate a little bit more.

Here's where I show my ignorance -- I don't believe there is a server-side setting for using HLS/DASH format streaming. The iOS apps have a way to prefer something like that. I wonder if there's a method to incorporate that into the Roku profile when encountering AV1 media. I'm not sure how complex the profiles are for these and I know they've cause issues before. But it would be nice if DASH streaming could be implemented to help out folks who have partial AV1 support in this way.

RE: TCL Roku TV AV1 - TheDreadPirate - 2023-08-24

There is a big difference between Roku, the piece of software, supporting AV1 and the chipset in the TV supporting accelerated decoding of AV1. This page says it does NOT support Av1.

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/ae592e2e

RE: TCL Roku TV AV1 - soxrok2212 - 2023-08-24

Thanks both for your answers (and as a side effect, throwing me a pile of disappointment this morning!) This leaves a few more questions:
1. Is there still a possibility of supporting software decoding?
2. I formally used a T600, but it doesn't support AV1 encode or decode, so I had to switch to CPU encoding. The CPU is an i7-7820x and Jellyfin runs in a container with 8 cores. The transcode to my TV dropped from AV1 4k to a 480p h264 stream and looked like garbage. Is there a way to tweak this? TV doesn't seem to have a quality setting like mobile/desktop/web.

I'm not aware of a way to force a TV client to CPU decode.

The 7820X does not have an iGPU. Do you have a dedicated GPU in your system? It sounds like it is CPU transcoding. Can you share your ffmpeg logs?

(2023-08-24, 02:40 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: I'm not aware of a way to force a TV client to CPU decode.

The 7820X does not have an iGPU.  Do you have a dedicated GPU in your system?  It sounds like it is CPU transcoding.  Can you share your ffmpeg logs?

I do, I have an Nvidia T600 but it does not support AV1 encode or decode, so FFMpeg fails immediately there. I also checked my GTX 1080 and RTX3080, none support AV1 in any capacity. It is 100% CPU transcoding.

Even with those cards, it should only CPU decode and then GPU encode to something else.

Having said that. If you aren't too far into converting your library, or still have the original files, you should probably just stick with whatever codec you were using before since your GPU doesn't fully support it.

Or buy a GPU that supports AV1 decoding.

My 4 tips for a smooth jellyfin experience.

1. Know your library
2. Match your library to your client capabilities for a smooth direct play experience
3. It is nearly impossible to always direct play, so.....
4. Match your library to your server capabilities for a smooth transcode experience

That was my original goal. I am setting up 4 Turing Pi RK1s when they arrive in October, which have AV1 decode via an unofficial FFMpeg port. No AV1 encode support, but that's okay. This is what I plan on moving towards as the space savings from AV1 are pretty great.

Guess I'm just bummed Roku TV doesn't actually support AV1 Slightly-frowning-face. I'll stay on the lookout should this come in the future.

Thanks all!