Jellyfin Forum
Cant access sdb disk when adding library - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Cant access sdb disk when adding library (/t-cant-access-sdb-disk-when-adding-library)

Cant access sdb disk when adding library - Grubz - 2023-08-24

I am pretty novice to Linux and jellyfin. I recently swapped my jellyfin from my windows OS to Linux Ubuntu via OracleVM. I took my 2tb physical disk and made a .vmdk and attached it to my Ubuntu OS in VM. I can see and able to access the disk on VM. I have Docker and portainer installed, and currently jellyfin running. However on the Jellyfin Webgui when I want to add library ,I cannot see nor access my 2tb physical disk (sdb1) thus I cant access the movies/shows I already have in there. I comb the internet and I notice something about mounting which I am sure that is what I am missing and need to have it dumb it down to me like I'm a five year old, but I also understand it can also be a permissions issue. 

Can anyone enlighten me on this? I am willing to learn!

Update* remade the container Jellyfin on portainer and suddenly I am able to access the disk. Now I have to figure out why Sonarr and Radarr (also on portainer) cant detect my disk

Cheers 

Grubz

RE: Cant access sdb disk when adding library - TheDreadPirate - 2023-08-24

Can you explain the rationale for migrating from running jellyfin directly on Windows to running jellyfin in a docker container, in an Ubuntu VM, hosted on Windows? And the media library is a virtual disk hosted on Windows.

What benefit do you expect to gain with multiple virtualization layers?

RE: Cant access sdb disk when adding library - Grubz - 2023-08-26

Absolutely nothing! It is more of a learning experience and to familiarize myself with Linux. I recently took a Linux Course as intro to cybersecurity so I figured I wanted to learn Linux by playing around with Linux and see what you can and cannot do.

Update* remade the container Jellyfin on portainer and suddenly I am able to access the disk. Now I have to figure out why Sonarr and Radarr (also on portainer) cant detect my disk

Grubz

RE: Cant access sdb disk when adding library - bitmap - 2023-08-26

Volume mounts for docker containers require a declaration. I like Portainer for a quick glimpse of what's up, but it's a UI layer of abstraction on top of so many already abstracted layers that it removes you from what's happening.

My advice? Think about the question @TheDreadPirate asked and think about what you want to learn. Linux? Focus on that and how to tackle installation, package manager, dependencies, permissions, etc. Docker and/or Compose? Run it from the terminal before you throw Portainer or another GUI at it. Get comfortable building run commands or Compose files, extending from individual compose files to a master, reading run commands into a compose format. Get used to the nomenclature and environment by picking your projects (you've done great by choosing a project you want to tackle) and then narrowing the focus on how you want to run it. Pick your OS, your virtualization, etc.

As it stands, you're asking questions about why an impractical setup that likely nobody else would have isn't working. It makes for difficult troubleshooting and I don't think will provide a useful learning experience for you.

RE: Cant access sdb disk when adding library - Grubz - 2023-08-27

(2023-08-26, 07:07 PM)bitmap Wrote: Volume mounts for docker containers require a declaration. I like Portainer for a quick glimpse of what's up, but it's a UI layer of abstraction on top of so many already abstracted layers that it removes you from what's happening.

My advice? Think about the question @TheDreadPirate asked and think about what you want to learn. Linux? Focus on that and how to tackle installation, package manager, dependencies, permissions, etc. Docker and/or Compose? Run it from the terminal before you throw Portainer or another GUI at it. Get comfortable building run commands or Compose files, extending from individual compose files to a master, reading run commands into a compose format. Get used to the nomenclature and environment by picking your projects (you've done great by choosing a project you want to tackle) and then narrowing the focus on how you want to run it. Pick your OS, your virtualization, etc.

As it stands, you're asking questions about why an impractical setup that likely nobody else would have isn't working. It makes for difficult troubleshooting and I don't think will provide a useful learning experience for you.

Thanks!

I needed that advice, it helped me zone in and what I really need to focus on, and not get sidetrack to other things. Linux is very daunting, and I definitely deviated away when it gets complicated by looking at a simple solution. Would you have any other suggestion on what other resources I should be looking at (other than youtube tutorials)?   

Grubz

RE: Cant access sdb disk when adding library - TheDreadPirate - 2023-08-27

Just kind of throw yourself into it. Get used to the idea that the Linux command line does not hold your hand. But that also means you are in control.

The most important thing to remember is that the command line is just text. And that there are tools to manipulate that text. You can manipulate the output of one command and then feed it into other commands.

Once you mentally see that flow of text, you can come up with creative solutions to problems or to automate tasks.

You can experiment with WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux). It is literally Ubuntu in Windows. But it also has access to your Windows file system so don't go deleting everything. Get used to Linux before you commit by partitioning and dual booting your system or something. Or perhaps an old PC you have laying around can be your learning box.

RE: Cant access sdb disk when adding library - bitmap - 2023-08-27

There's also a cheap book you can get that's like the Linux Pocket Guide that was pretty helpful for me when I was learning. It's mostly just essential commands to learn. Throwing yourself in is the only way to figure out out, and a project is a great way to make that happen.