Jellyfin Forum
Weird problem with subtitles on 4k movies - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Weird problem with subtitles on 4k movies (/t-weird-problem-with-subtitles-on-4k-movies)

Weird problem with subtitles on 4k movies - vevevas - 2024-09-03

Hi, I've been encountering a weird problem with playing subtitles on 4k movies when on my LG TV, webOS. I've installed the subtitle extract and chose the library option for only text. On 1080p movies the subtitles on the mkv play without any issues, they are detected and played. On 4k movies, even thought I've extracted the subtitles, they are displayed as an option to be choosen, I choose any of them but when playing the movie none of them display. The only solution I've found was to put the subtitle in the same folder as the movie, then it works. Feels like it's not getting the subtitle from the subtitle extract folder, really weird, especially because it's only on the 4k ones. 

I've disabled the transcode settings.
The subtitles are normal srt files.
It works perfectly on PC.

I've found this on logs:

Code:
[2024-09-03 01:45:45.884 +01:00] [INF] [126] Emby.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionManager: Playback stopped reported by app "Jellyfin Web" "10.9.9" playing "Civil War (2024)". Stopped at "89362" ms
[2024-09-03 01:46:34.937 +01:00] [INF] [126] Jellyfin.Api.Helpers.MediaInfoHelper: User policy for "User". EnablePlaybackRemuxing: False EnableVideoPlaybackTranscoding: False EnableAudioPlaybackTranscoding: False
[2024-09-03 01:46:44.035 +01:00] [ERR] [72] Jellyfin.Api.Middleware.ExceptionMiddleware: Error processing request. URL "GET" "/Videos/fe070472-e832-32a1-7b5f-90c68a451b8c/fe070472e83232a17b5f90c68a451b8c/Subtitles/4/0/Stream.js".
System.ArgumentException: Unsupported format: srt
  at MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.Subtitles.SubtitleEditParser.Parse(Stream stream, String fileExtension)

RE: Weird problem with subtitles on 4k movies - TheDreadPirate - 2024-09-03

Read this post from a github issue thread.

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/issues/12281#issuecomment-2231605057

RE: Weird problem with subtitles on 4k movies - vevevas - 2024-09-04

So I've unnistalled the subtitle extract, deleted the folder subtitles in Jellyfin\Server\data\subtitles and ran the plugin once again but the issue still presists, whats the next step? Is it because I selected to only "Allow text" on "Disable different types of embedded subtitles" instead of "Allow all" for my library? I only want the srt files. I can select the subtitles but they don't show when playing the movie, really weird.

Code:
[2024-09-04 17:14:31.032 +01:00] [ERR] [58] Jellyfin.Api.Middleware.ExceptionMiddleware: Error processing request. URL "GET" "/Videos/fe070472-e832-32a1-7b5f-90c68a451b8c/fe070472e83232a17b5f90c68a451b8c/Subtitles/4/0/Stream.js".
System.ArgumentException: Unsupported format: srt
  at MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.Subtitles.SubtitleEditParser.Parse(Stream stream, String fileExtension)
  at MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.Subtitles.SubtitleEncoder.ConvertSubtitles(Stream stream, String inputFormat, String outputFormat, Int64 startTimeTicks, Int64 endTimeTicks, Boolean preserveOriginalTimestamps, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
  at MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.Subtitles.SubtitleEncoder.MediaBrowser.Controller.MediaEncoding.ISubtitleEncoder.GetSubtitles(BaseItem item, String mediaSourceId, Int32 subtitleStreamIndex, String outputFormat, Int64 startTimeTicks, Int64 endTimeTicks, Boolean preserveOriginalTimestamps, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
  at Jellyfin.Api.Controllers.SubtitleController.GetSubtitle(Guid routeItemId, String routeMediaSourceId, Int32 routeIndex, String routeFormat, Nullable`1 itemId, String mediaSourceId, Nullable`1 index, String format, Nullable`1 endPositionTicks, Boolean copyTimestamps, Boolean addVttTimeMap, Int64 startPositionTicks)
  at lambda_method1807(Closure, Object)
  at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ActionMethodExecutor.TaskOfActionResultExecutor.Execute(ActionContext actionContext, IActionResultTypeMapper mapper, ObjectMethodExecutor executor, Object controller, Object[] arguments)
  at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.<InvokeActionMethodAsync>g__Awaited|12_0(ControllerActionInvoker invoker, ValueTask`1 actionResultValueTask)
  at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.<InvokeNextActionFilterAsync>g__Awaited|10_0(ControllerActionInvoker invoker, Task lastTask, State next, Scope scope, Object state, Boolean isCompleted)
  at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.Rethrow(ActionExecutedContextSealed context)
  at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.Next(State& next, Scope& scope, Object& state, Boolean& isCompleted)
  at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeInnerFilterAsync()

RE: Weird problem with subtitles on 4k movies - TheDreadPirate - 2024-09-04

I don't think you were supposed to reinstall and re-run the subtitle extract plugin.  Re-do the steps, but don't use the subtitle extract plugin.  Let Jellyfin extract it on the fly (make sure that is enabled).

It's also possible that this "SRT" subtitle track isn't actually SRT.

Can you find the original video and extract the subtitles?

Code:
ffmpeg -i "D:\path\to\video.mlv" -vn -an -c:s copy -map 0:s:# subtitle.srt

Replace "#" with the subtitle track number.  0 would the first subtitle track.

RE: Weird problem with subtitles on 4k movies - vevevas - 2024-09-04

For me to use extract it on the fly do I need to activate any transcode settings? With this active the video takes a ton of time to load, doesen't even load at all, just seconds

Code:
[2024-09-04 01:13:28.317 +01:00] [INF] [63] MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.Subtitles.SubtitleEncoder: "ffmpeg" "-i \"E:\Filmes\Incendies.2010.2160p.UHD.Blu-ray.Remux.DV.HDR.HEVC.DTS-HD.MA.5.1-CiNEPHiLES.mkv\" -copyts -map 0:4 -an -vn -c:s copy \"C:\ProgramData\Jellyfin\Server\data\subtitles\6\6e0d8550-185f-ccb8-6eca-d52a660e690d.srt\"

ffmpeg log for subtitle extract, and even when extracting with gMKVExtractGUI the file extracted is .srt

[Image: kfvRLXC.png]

RE: Weird problem with subtitles on 4k movies - TheDreadPirate - 2024-09-04

The metadata can say it is SRT, but are the contents actually SRT? You can open that SRT file in notepad.

You don't need to setup transcoding for on-the-fly subtitle extracting to work. What are the specs of your system? It should take only a second or two on a capable system. Also, is the media storage directly attached or is it a network share?

RE: Weird problem with subtitles on 4k movies - vevevas - 2024-09-05

Still not displaying any subtitles with extracting on the fly, only external subtitles that are on the same folder as the mkv work, the internal ones don't display or do anything. I'm running jellyfin thru this PC, HDD's are connected to it and have my media. The movies play fine on the LG built in medida player. My connection is also not the problem, as the movies load fine, only the subtitles seem like they don't. Feels like it's a problem with the webOS

Intel® Core™ i3-6100 CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz
8,00GB RAM DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
Samsung SSD 750 EVO 250GB

RE: Weird problem with subtitles on 4k movies - vevevas - 2024-09-07

Looks like it's an issue, will wait for an update to fix it. For now will use external subtitles as it's the only solution
https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin-webos/issues/249
https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/pull/12575