Jellyfin Forum
Is it normal for metadata scraping to use high CPU? - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Is it normal for metadata scraping to use high CPU? (/t-is-it-normal-for-metadata-scraping-to-use-high-cpu)

Is it normal for metadata scraping to use high CPU? - kandykarter - 2023-08-24

I added a few movies to my collection last night while i had my task manager open and noticed a spike up to 98-100% of CPU while it scraped the metadata for the new movies. I don't understand why that would be, as I'd assumed scraping would be as simple as running a search and downloading images/info, and it made me wonder if I had something configured incorrectly.

Thanks!

RE: Is it normal for metadata scraping to use high CPU? - TheDreadPirate - 2023-08-24

Do you have the jellyscrub plugin? Or is chapter image extraction enable for your library?

Both would use a lot of CPU when adding new media.

RE: Is it normal for metadata scraping to use high CPU? - kandykarter - 2023-08-24

It would appear that I have neither, unfortunately!

RE: Is it normal for metadata scraping to use high CPU? - kandykarter - 2023-08-24

Additional context: I added a new TV show today and it showed a small spike in CPU usage, but nothing like what I have seen with movie scraping. I mostly use TMDB, but I can't see any settings that would explain this spike.

RE: Is it normal for metadata scraping to use high CPU? - TheDreadPirate - 2023-08-24

And you're certain that chapter image extraction is not enabled in your movies library? In your dashboard at the bottom of the settings for that library. That's the only thing that makes sense.

Also, is this affecting how well Jellyfin runs? Or are you just curious?

RE: Is it normal for metadata scraping to use high CPU? - kandykarter - 2023-08-25

Yes, I'm certain, the box is unchecked. And yeah, it's just curiosity. I noticed it and wondered if it's abnormal, or a sign of something being misconfigured somewhere. As far as I can tell it's not causing an issue.

RE: Is it normal for metadata scraping to use high CPU? - TheDreadPirate - 2023-08-25

I don't monitor my CPU usage when I add media so I can't say with certainty whether or not that is normal. But based on what I know, I can say that it is probably not ABnormal.

I wouldn't be concerned. IIRC the scan related processes are "below normal" priority and shouldn't impact other processes much.

RE: Is it normal for metadata scraping to use high CPU? - ALD76 - 2023-08-25

(2023-08-24, 03:58 PM)kandykarter Wrote: I added a few movies to my collection last night while i had my task manager open and noticed a spike up to 98-100% of CPU while it scraped the metadata for the new movies. I don't understand why that would be, as I'd assumed scraping would be as simple as running a search and downloading images/info, and it made me wonder if I had something configured incorrectly.

Thanks!

Ffprobe will also be running against the files to get the details which uses CPU.