Jellyfin Forum
Transcoding Cleanup - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Transcoding Cleanup (/t-transcoding-cleanup)

Transcoding Cleanup - Lost_Ones - 2024-09-07

Hello,  ( Updated )

I have noticed that when watching live TV for a while I will eat up all the available disk space and I can see that this is due to transcoding of live TV.

I have Jellyfin 10.9.10 installed with docker compose, using a proper UID and GID.  I launch the docker container with the same user.  What is very odd is I cannot 'cd' beyond config to get to the transcoding folder.  If I am sudo su -,  I can then get to the dir, ad see that the cache and the transcode directories are both owned by my user id.

I seem to not be able to even delete these manually,  using "find /opt/jellyfin/config/cache/transcodes/*.ts -type f -mmin 15 -delete"  with either my id or sudo su - ( maybe there is a better command ), but I can delete them one by one.  QUICK UPDATE - I added in -mmin +15 and it seems that I can delete files older then 15 minds. I was missing the +, there for I think I was deleting the 'younder ones'. I presume that I can set a crontab, but if I can do via the gui, that would be preferred.

Under Dashboard I have:

1)  Under Scheduled tasks, every 15 mins I have clean transcode Dir configured. 

2) Under Playback -> Transcoding I have everything default except I have ticked Delete Segments, and set the Time to Keep Segments set to 300 seconds.  

When I am watching live TV, neither one of these seems to be working.  However, if I close out of live TV, all transcodes are removed.

Am I not properly configured to cleanup transcode so I don't run out of space? 

Thank you in advance for some direction.

RE: Transcoding Cleanup - TheDreadPirate - 2024-09-07

I have confirmed what you are seeing and I don't see any open github issues. I'll look at the code and open a github issue once I've found where in the code this isn't getting set for live TV.

RE: Transcoding Cleanup - Lost_Ones - 2024-09-09

Once it is released I will test and report back.

RE: Transcoding Cleanup - TheDreadPirate - 2024-09-09

TLDR; this issue is not a bug, per se. I'm a pretty amateur programmer, but I went down this rabbit hole learning this section of the code last night and today. After a lot of new debug logging I found that the delete segments functionality needs a lot of variables to be "true", not be null, or be non-zero for it to work. And with how live TV, and live TV transcoding, currently works to get delete segments to work with live TV will require a lot of rework in a lot of different parts of Jellyfin's code.

So don't expect a fix any time soon, but this will be my learning opportunity since this functionality is important to my setup (RAM disk for transcodes).

RE: Transcoding Cleanup - Lost_Ones - 2024-09-09

I really appreciate the feedback and the efforts.  In the meantime, I will keep a sudo crontab to clean them out.

#*/15 * * * * find /opt/jellyfin/config/cache/transcodes/*.ts -type f -mmin +15 -delete    #  removes .ts file in the transcode folders that are older then 15 mins

Thank you

RE: Transcoding Cleanup - timminator - 2024-10-09

I came across this issue aswell today.
Are there any updates on this?
I can't find an open or closed issue on this on Github.

RE: Transcoding Cleanup - TheDreadPirate - 2024-10-09

Negatory. This would require a pretty big change that will not make it into Jellyfin until, at least, 10.11.

But that means there's no need to open an issue on Github about this?
The Jellyfin Team is aware of this issue?

RE: Transcoding Cleanup - TheDreadPirate - 2024-10-09

We are aware.

Thank you and the Jellyfin Team for your hard work. I appreciate it a lot!