Jellyfin Forum
Poor server performance both playback and UI - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Poor server performance both playback and UI (/t-poor-server-performance-both-playback-and-ui)

Poor server performance both playback and UI - scdouglas - 2024-09-16

This one wins for most confusing issue I've had with Jellyfin. Basically, recently my server has started to seriously chug in just normal usage with no identifiable culprit. When I'm in the dashboard simply clicking "logs" for instance may load nothing for almost a minute, seemingly completely hanging. Clicking a movie in my collection will sometimes take irrationally long just to load the movie page (upwards of 30-45 seconds). The play button will sometimes just do nothing when clicked, until the third click when it will magically work again. Once the play button does work, loading the movie will sometimes be instant and sometimes it will stall and simply not load or take a long time. Seeking through video takes a long time as well and sometimes it too will just hang. It's just an all around performance issue. While these hangs are happening, my GPU, CPU, RAM, Disks, everything is little to no usage, as if the server is doing nothing at all. 

The server is using dual Xeon E5-2697 V4 CPUs with a GTX 1080, 32GB of RAM, and it's all on SSDs. Past performance has been stellar, I've been using it for over a year now, this issue has cropped up recently. There's also nothing strange in the most recent logs. I'm on the latest server version as well. Not sure what to do here I feel like I've checked everything.

RE: Poor server performance both playback and UI - TheDreadPirate - 2024-09-16

What is the system load? I'm assuming you're using Linux. System load is different from CPU usage. You can have a high system load with low CPU usage. And can you install iotop and see what the disks are doing?

RE: Poor server performance both playback and UI - gnattu - 2024-09-16

This looks very likely IO issues to me. Can you check your disks to see if all of them still performs normally?

RE: Poor server performance both playback and UI - scdouglas - 2024-09-16

(2024-09-16, 04:11 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: What is the system load?  I'm assuming you're using Linux.  System load is different from CPU usage.  You can have a high system load with low CPU usage.  And can you install iotop and see what the disks are doing?

So I realize I should've specified a few different things. I'm on Windows since I honestly don't have time to learn the linux side of things right now (on the list for the future). I do have an update though from last night. Chromecasts and other streaming devices seem to be completely unaffected by these issues. My 4K CCWGTV doesn't stutter and runs beautifully. This is limited to jellyfin on windows, both the media client and the web versions perform equally poorly. iotop seems to be a linux program, anything you recommend for the windows side of things? Sorry forgot to mention the windows part in my original post.

RE: Poor server performance both playback and UI - scdouglas - 2024-09-16

(2024-09-16, 04:20 AM)gnattu Wrote: This looks very likely IO issues to me. Can you check your disks to see if all of them still performs normally?

I can, but I would think it's basically impossible for that to be the issue. I realized that this issue disappears when using the android tv build of the media client. Chromecasts, shields, etc. all perform perfectly even with a 100GB 4K HDR movie at max bitrate. I would think that if one of my SSDs was dying, all devices should perform identically since the dying drive wouldn't care if I was using a windows pc or a chromecast. The issue is limited to windows as far as I can tell, both the downloadable media client and web version.

RE: Poor server performance both playback and UI - gnattu - 2024-09-17

So what you said is it only happens when you are using the jellyfin media player? Is it happening to you when you are using the browser? If so then it is probably again the QT webengine compatibility issue though.

RE: Poor server performance both playback and UI - scdouglas - 2024-09-22

(2024-09-17, 01:01 AM)gnattu Wrote: So what you said is it only happens when you are using the jellyfin media player? Is it happening to you when you are using the browser? If so then it is probably again the QT webengine compatibility issue though.

It's still happening on the browser, yes, exactly the same issue. This is the first lead I've had on this issue, are there any resources to check out regarding this compatibility issue? I had trouble finding it myself to see if there are any fixes.

RE: Poor server performance both playback and UI - TheDreadPirate - 2024-09-22

Are you using a reverse proxy?

RE: Poor server performance both playback and UI - scdouglas - 2024-09-22

(2024-09-22, 07:04 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Are you using a reverse proxy?

No I'm connected through my local IP directly so not even going outside my home internet.