Jellyfin Forum
User level playback settings being applied globally to all users - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+---- Forum: Media Scanning & Identification (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-media-scanning-identification)
+---- Thread: User level playback settings being applied globally to all users (/t-user-level-playback-settings-being-applied-globally-to-all-users)

User level playback settings being applied globally to all users - babrah - 2024-09-19

When I toggle any of the user level playback setting under "Video Advanced" section(Enable DTS, Enable TrueHD), it is applied across all users. The setting behaves like a global server level setting rather than user level setting. This is not the case with the setting under "Audio Settings" section on the same page. They are only applied on a user level, allowing different users to have different settings. 

If this the expected behavior or a bug? As it is placed under user setting panel, I guess it should behave as such similar to the audio settings.

I am trying to disable TrueHD for some users(as it is not supported on Apple devices) while allowing it for others. Please let me know if its possible to achieve this(either disabling/enabling on a user level or device level like disabling for apple devices but allowed for other platforms). Thanks.

Setting screenshots:

Server Version: 10.9.9

RE: User level playback settings being applied globally to all users - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-09-19

How are you confirming this? I tested this out and I can only reproduce the issue when on the same client (the same browser in this case).

I'm assuming you're using a web browser to see these changes for all your users.
Unless you're constantly changing out the audio equipment connected to the PC and under the same browser, this shouldn't be an issue.

To further explain, I was only able to see this issue when on the same client. When I made a private window which will register as a completely new client to Jellyfin, logging in with another user on the private window does not carry over those settings.

RE: User level playback settings being applied globally to all users - SethBacon - 2024-09-19

My users get stereo and they should be fucking thankful. But really, you've probably found a bug, I thought that some of those settings were not just per user but per device (eg display modes in the android client vs windows) But certainly if meant to be global should be in general options. Edit; oh shiz its a display bug

RE: User level playback settings being applied globally to all users - gnattu - 2024-09-19

This is a per client setting because it makes little sense to make it per user. Please don't make decisions like this for your user. Let them enable it on their own devices.

RE: User level playback settings being applied globally to all users - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-09-19

(Yesterday, 06:16 AM)SethBacon Wrote: My users get stereo and they should be fucking thankful. But really, you've probably found a bug, I thought that some of those settings were not just per user but per device (eg display modes in the android client vs windows) But certainly if meant to be global should be in general options. Edit; oh shiz its a display bug
I think there are a few other settings that apply "client globally" to all users that use that client. One of them is that gamepad setting.
I'm probably getting this wrong, but I also believe the sub settings may apply to all users too on the client.

Ohh, and if you use Jellyfin Media Player, its own settings should apply to all users that use that instance too.

RE: User level playback settings being applied globally to all users - gnattu - 2024-09-19

Let's say the user has an iPhone and a TV and the TV supports it but the iPhone does not, and you made this decision for him as if that setting is a per user setting, how could we know which device actually support that audio codec if it is bind to user and not the device?

RE: User level playback settings being applied globally to all users - babrah - 2024-09-20

Thanks for the clarification everyone. Since the setting was under the user profile settings tab, I assumed that it was a user level setting. I was trying to use it instead of client level settings since I havent been able to find them(eg Swiftfin does not seem to have any setting to disable truehd or just choose another/next highest quality compatible audio track if truehd track if the default which is the case for a lot of my files).

If there is any other method to achieve this like some other setting or even a global server level setting to skip truehd tracks, please let me know. Currently, some of my users on Swiftin complain that on playback, there is no audio(since truehd track is the default track) and they are not very tech savvy.