Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: Media Identification - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+---- Forum: Media Scanning & Identification (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-media-scanning-identification)
+---- Thread: SOLVED: Media Identification (/t-solved-media-identification--8084)

Pages: 1 2

Media Identification - akon718 - 2024-09-22

I recently set up Jellyfin through portainer. I have the service running but it does not seem to recognize the media I am putting into it. I have researched a lot about this issue and I have tried my best to update file permission/ownership but nothing seems to work. 

Attached are photos showing the issue I am having.[attachment=5005][attachment=5005]

RE: Media Identification - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-09-22

You're not mounting the volumes correctly.

You're missing the whole ": /config" part as an example.

Here's an example of how you're supposed to format those volume lines:
Code:
volumes:
      - /volume1/docker/jellyfin/cache:/cache:rw
      - /volume1/docker/jellyfin/config:/config:rw
      #- /volume1/<path-to-folder>/shows:/shows:rw
      #- /volume1/<path-to-folder>/movies:/movies:ro
      #note: (:rw = read/write) & (:ro = read only)

RE: Media Identification - akon718 - 2024-09-22

I see what you're saying. I set up a volume in docker where I am going to store my data called "Jellyfin"        

From there I went into the Volume I created and made the movies/shows/music files I want Jellyfin to access. I made sure to chmod them to 775.    

I then took your above advice and changed my portainer stack to match what you posted above.    

Then in my jellyfin settings I remapped my volumes to match what I added. When I was putting them in they only allowed me to select from /movies,/music,etc. (and not the full filepath) so I figured that waas a good sign.    

I then added a movie, this time just giving it 777 perms for good measure in hopes it would work    

But the movie does not show up. I manually scanned all my libraries in the dashboard and it did not work.

Thank you for your help on the above post though. I would greatly greatly appreciate if you could help me sort this out.

RE: Media Identification - theguymadmax - 2024-09-22

Give this guide a look through, especially this part:
"the most common things I see is some variation of "I ran 'chmod 777' on my library and Jellyfin still can't see my files".  And that is rooted in a fundamental misunderstanding of Linux permission concepts.  Specifically the concept that for a user to be able to access a particular file they need permission to navigate through every single folder leading to the file."

considering i set the full filepath to 775 i dont think this is a problem with linux file permissions. I have a base understanding of file permissions what i dont have is an understanding of how docker/jellyfin interacts with the file system. I know 777 only gives write permissions to all users compared to 775 but at this point im just throwing darts at a dart board and hoping something sticks.

RE: Media Identification - TheDreadPirate - 2024-09-22

Why is everything in /var/lib/docker? Did you put your movies and other media in that directory?

Move your content to /media on the host. Much shallower directory structure and you don't have to fight with permissions and, possibly, ACLs as much.

I have everything in /var/lib/docker because i was (and am) under the impression that for a docker container to access files stored on your pc they need to be in a docker volume.

I created a docker volume called jellyfin_media and jellyfin_config as to my understanding thats how I would let jellyfin access my files through the container.    

in my mind the volume syntax goes [path to the docker volume you want to store your files in on your host pc]:[path to where those files will be stored inside the container]
so i set mine up as 
/var/lib/docker/volumes/jellyfin_media : /media    

I tried to do what you just said and put my files into the media folder in my root dir as well as in a media file in my home dir and neither of these worked because i dont know what the sytax for the volume would be. I tried to do /home/conner/media/movies: /movies but that did not populate jellyfin with anything.

If I go into the container console I can see the directories I made but they are completely empty    

EDIT: Something interesting I found while going through my container file system, there is a music, tv, and media folder in the root driver and each of them have a tv, movies, music dir inside of them. Im not sure at all why thats the case but it might hint at where im messing up in terms of volume configuration    

EDITx2: I realised that in my compose i accidentally put mdeia insead of movies and it seemed like all 3 of those volumes that I made are updating on my host machine with the tv, movies, and music dirs except that theyre empty and dont have the movies/music I put into them

(also i did not mean to mark this as solution and I dont know how to unmark it as solution)

This is as close as Ive gotten, I put music, movies, and tv into a folder in the container called media. I then mapped the individual host pc dirs to the containers dirs so they dont all populate with movies,tv, and music. That being said the files I put into those folders do not appear.

I hope ive narrowed down the problem enough for you guys to assist, i am trying my best to self diagnose

RE: Media Identification - theguymadmax - 2024-09-22

Your file permissions are incorrect; the owner and group shouldn't be set to root. As mentioned earlier, please follow this guide.

the screenshot youre refrencing is the console of the container not my host pc. they are root because the container does not have any other users besides root.

Attached is a screenshot of the file permission of the files themselves. One of them has my user as group and the other has jellyfin as group to test both even though since I sed PUID and PGID to 1000 1000 they should both be my user. Neither of them show up.