Jellyfin Forum
Android TV bug: Client won't seek through certain media - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Android TV bug: Client won't seek through certain media (/t-android-tv-bug-client-won-t-seek-through-certain-media)

Android TV bug: Client won't seek through certain media - Perseverant - 2024-09-22

Happy to provide any details, though I'm not sure which ones to provide.  The behavior I'm seeing is as-follows:

I added a 9-episode show to my media server and unlike other show's episodes, its episodes won't let me seek when using the Android TV client.  If I press play, it will play fine, but if I try to seek, the episode resets back to the beginning and I cannot seek back to the place in the video where I was.  I spot checked a few episodes and all of the ones I checked reset back to the beginning when I try to seek.

As mentioned in the description, seeking works fine in the Jellyfin web client, Jellyfin phone client (android), and within VLC on my local PC.  It only fails on the Android TV client, which is our primary client, so I doubt it's an issue with the media itself as much as something funky going on with the Android TV client for this particular media.

RE: Android TV bug: Client won't seek through certain media - TheDreadPirate - 2024-09-22

Is the video direct playing on your ATV client? And transcoding on the rest of the Jellyfin clients?

RE: Android TV bug: Client won't seek through certain media - Perseverant - 2024-09-23

(2024-09-22, 06:27 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Is the video direct playing on your ATV client?  And transcoding on the rest of the Jellyfin clients?

How would I know for absolutely sure?  The format is HEVC / x265.

It should be played in its native format on my nVidia Shield, which is what the Android TV app is running on.
I wouldn't think it would be transcoding on the phone app, because my Samsung S23+ support HEVC in hardware.
Not sure about the web client, but it's probably transcoding.

RE: Android TV bug: Client won't seek through certain media - theguymadmax - 2024-09-23

For that one show, try refreshing the metadata with the replace all metadata option. That has worked for me in the the past.

RE: Android TV bug: Client won't seek through certain media - Perseverant - 2024-09-23

(2024-09-23, 02:58 PM)theguymadmax Wrote: For that one show, try refreshing the metadata with the replace all metadata option. That has worked for me in the the past.

Thank you for the idea.  I did so, waited an hour, and re-tested, and unfortunately the issue is still present.

RE: Android TV bug: Client won't seek through certain media - TheDreadPirate - 2024-09-24

Ok. Can you replicate the problem then share your jellyfin log via pastebin?

You can also try remuxing the file to see if the container is borked.

Code:
/usr/lib/jellyfin-ffmpeg/ffmpeg -fflags +genpts+igndts -i "/path/to/video/mkv" -map 0 -codec copy -max_muxing_queue_size 2048 -max_interleave_delta 0 -avoid_negative_ts disabled newFile.mkv