Jellyfin Forum
Intel has lost all of its dedicated GPU market share - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-off-topic)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-discussion)
+--- Thread: Intel has lost all of its dedicated GPU market share (/t-intel-has-lost-all-of-its-dedicated-gpu-market-share)

Intel has lost all of its dedicated GPU market share - kwm1800 - 2024-09-26

https://www.techspot.com/news/104848-intel-has-lost-all-dedicated-gpu-market-share.html

I hope they stick around, but the situation seems bleak.

RE: Intel has lost all of its dedicated GPU market share - TheDreadPirate - 2024-09-26

Intel, in general, is not in a great situation. They aren't competitive pretty much anywhere. Lunar Lake is manufactured, exclusively, by TSMC. INTEL CPUs ARE NOW MADE BY A COMPETITOR FAB!! Think about that. Their edge for soooo long has been their private fab capacity. AMD has never been able to claim much of Intel's market share over the years simply because they couldn't produce enough chips. K8 Athlon 64 CPUs CRUSHED Intel's offerings at the time. But AMD just couldn't produce enough chips to satisfy demand. It has taken Ryzen 6-7 years to really start gaining serious ground on the consumer side. Intel still leads in the enterprise desktop and server space. Not because their chips are better, but because they can produce enough chips. Even if they aren't technically better/faster.

Intel, and a lot of other technology and engineering companies, have been helmed by MBA types. And that business/profit first leadership style is starting to catch up with them. Intel and Boeing are PRIME examples.

AMD realized this and brought on Lisa Su. An electrical engineer by education and experience. And that engineering first leadership style has paid off. Intel and Boeing are just recently switching out their MBA CEOs with engineer types.

Intel got complacent, they've lost their edge, they've lost their competitive advantage, they aren't innovating, and they're making short sighted, short term profit driven decisions.

And now they've decided to enter a competitive market segment with notoriously slim margins? With a half baked, subpar product?

The only reason I have an Intel Arc GPU in my server is because Quick Sync is still the gold standard for encoding quality, the Linux kernel has excellent support baked in, Intel's Linux drivers and media drivers have been open source for a long time, they aren't artificially limited, and they are cheap and readily available.

If you're only looking for encoding capability, Nvidia just ain't it. They're expensive, especially if you need AV1 encoding with RTX4000, they're artificially limited, and their drivers are, for now, closed source.

Battlemage appears to resolve some of the idle power consumption issues with Arc. But I'm not betting on competitive gaming performance. Nor am I betting on Intel sticking around.

RE: Intel has lost all of its dedicated GPU market share - Host-in-the-Shell - 2024-09-26

And as usual, the real losers are the consumers, as always. I've no idea why Intel decided to give up and not even try, at least in the consumer/gamer market. Maybe in the first world this doesn't really matter or something, but over here I wouldn't even touch intel for my main desktop thanks to the absurd power consumption of their cpus, not to mention their prices on top.

That said, it's a real shame if they exit the GPU market, considering the subpar offerings of the other options when it comes to encoding in terms of quality and price to performance. There's simply not much that can compare at the moment. Oh well, at least we got another line coming up; being frank here, I think even that was nothing short of a miracle all t hings considered.

RE: Intel has lost all of its dedicated GPU market share - gnattu - 2024-09-30

> Battlemage appears to resolve some of the idle power consumption issues with Arc. But I'm not betting on competitive gaming performance. Nor am I betting on Intel sticking around.

If they are really doing this bad Battlemage would even be cancelled.