Jellyfin Forum
Jellyfin-Client for TV - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Jellyfin-Client for TV (/t-jellyfin-client-for-tv)

Pages: 1 2

Jellyfin-Client for TV - pixel24 - 2023-08-28

Hi everyone,

I've been using Jellyfin for about a year now and I'm thrilled with it. I use the Jellyfin Media Player on my desktop computers and laptops, and the Jellyfin app from F-Droid on my mobile devices. Except for some minor issues that might still be resolved, it's been running great.

I'm still looking for a sleek solution for my TV. I'm searching for a small, fanless PC that can serve as a client for Jellyfin. It would be great if Jellyfin could be controlled on it using a remote. I've been testing with LibreELEC and Kodi + Jellyfin plugin for a while, but I'm not satisfied with that.

I have an NVIDIA graphics card installed in the server that handles decoding, and I'd like the client to support this as well. In Kodi, you need to use the JellyCon plugin for this purpose. However, the Jellyfin structure doesn't integrate very well when using JellyCon.

Does anyone among you know of a good solution?

with best
pixel24

RE: Jellyfin-Client for TV - campipaolo - 2023-08-28

In my setup Kodi + Titan bingie mod skin + Jellyficon all libreries are exactly as
into the server

RE: Jellyfin-Client for TV - pixel24 - 2023-08-28

All Jellyfin libraries are automatically displayed on the start screen and you don't have to click on: AddOns- > Jellyfin -> Libaries ?

RE: Jellyfin-Client for TV - Venson - 2023-08-28

Hey @pixel24

Do you have a smart TV? If so and its android based, you can use the Jellyfin Andriod
If not, i can recommend a chromecast or roku device

I have a smart TV but without Android. I forgot to mention that I would like to realize it completely with opensource. So Chromcast or nVIDIA-Shield is not an option either :-(

I would prefer a small linux based computer as I said.

In the long run I would also like to integrate the TV functionality into the server and if the smart TV should break I would like to have a pure large display in its place and the small computer on it via which all Jellyfin services are used.

RE: Jellyfin-Client for TV - PogMoThoin22 - 2023-08-28

Raspberry Pi?

The hardware plays a subordinate role for the time being. The, slimmer the better! In the end, 4k movies should run smoothly without the device running at its limit.

The first important step would be to find the right system:

- LibreELEC / Kodi
- Debian desktop
... whatever

What would be important to me is simply that Jellyfin runs as a client on it AND it can be controlled via remote control. I think the latter is the challenge.

Kodi would be easiest here but as mentioned I found the integration far from perfect.

I will still test the hint from @campipaolo

RE: Jellyfin-Client for TV - TheDreadPirate - 2023-08-28

Is there any support in those clients/OSes for something like an Xbox or PS4/5 controller?

RE: Jellyfin-Client for TV - bitmap - 2023-08-28

You could run an Intel NUC or older Intel-based Mac Mini. Fairly sure they made them recently enough they'd have QSV. The latter you'd probably have more power but also way more TDP and probably zero chance at repair. The logic boards for those things are still available but like $900 a pop. They're also fairly large and heavy. But they're almost bulletproof; my Mini ran for 12 years, 2 of them as a Jellyfin/docker server on 24/7. They're also silent and you can find really cool mounting solutions (I have a wall mount where my Mini just snaps in to this plastic holder, it's awesome).

Either way you'd ensure enough power that your client could decode.

RE: Jellyfin-Client for TV - kandykarter - 2023-08-28

I'd just like to drop by and point out that you don't need to use Jellycon to make it work with Kodi. Jellyfin for Kodi integrates much better than Jellycon in my experience, and just uses the Jellyfin db as Kodi's db. "Native mode" is much better on my setup than "addon mode".