Jellyfin Forum
NVidiaShieldTV+HDHomeRun Not Working - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: NVidiaShieldTV+HDHomeRun Not Working (/t-nvidiashieldtv-hdhomerun-not-working)

NVidiaShieldTV+HDHomeRun Not Working - goldbondx - 2023-08-28

Hello,

Install: Unraid JF 10.8.10, HDHomeRun Quattro (on own subnet), Allow hardware transcoding enabled. 

Recently moved, put the aerial back up, HDHomeRun accessibility and playback is flawless via browser on PC, Android Mobile.  No issues. Will play for hours.

However, 2x NVidia ShieldTV Pro with exact same results  - no matter what settings I use, seems to fail miserably.    Have tried every combination of playback options (external players, hardware transcode off, etc..)

What is it about the NVidia ST that I am missing?

RE: NVidiaShieldTV+HDHomeRun Not Working - TheDreadPirate - 2023-08-28

What are you seeing on the Shield when you try to play live TV? What settings have you tried changing? Only on the server? Or also on the Shield? On the shield, do you have "Direct Stream Live TV" checked or unchecked? (Settings > Playback > Scroll to bottom)

Can you replicate the problem and then share your server logs with us? (So the pertinent logs are at the bottom).

RE: NVidiaShieldTV+HDHomeRun Not Working - goldbondx - 2023-09-04

Sorry for taking so long. I thought I would receive email notification on the post.

I had tried changing settings on both the NVIDIA and JF.  On JF, I have focused on:
Allow hardware transcoding. This is the only option of significance I can see for LiveTV.

On NVIDIA, I have tried:
Reducing max streaming to say 50/mb even though wifi is business grade and 600mb down near unit.
I have changed the preferred media multiple times from auto, to exo, to VLC.

The error I typically receive on the NVIDIA is:
Error steaming live TV. Will re-try....

What is weird is when I change the preferred media, I can stream for a few min. Then, I get the above error on every channel. As mentioned, playback is flawless on Android and PC through JF. BTW, I want to (I need to actually) use JF because the native app for HDHomeRun does not work with mDNS apparently. It doesn't see the HDH on a separate subnet. JF finds it fine. I would hate to replace the NVIDIA for something as lame as LiveTV. All other JF funtions and apps work pretty well. I have had issues with Paramount+. (which was weird)

I am wondering if my docker is dead. I don't even see it in the app store for unraid. The version in JF states: 10.8.10

Log file:

cpb: bitrate max/min/avg: 12000000/0/12000000 buffer size: 24000000 vbv_delay: N/A
  Stream #0:1: Audio: ac3 (AC-3 / 0x332D4341), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 384 kb/s
frame=    1 fps=0.0 q=0.0 size=N/A time=00:00:00.00 bitrate=N/A speed=  0x   
[hevc_nvenc @ 0x5615713784c0] Failed locking bitstream buffer: out of memory (10):
Error submitting video frame to the encoder
Conversion failed!

RE: NVidiaShieldTV+HDHomeRun Not Working - TheDreadPirate - 2023-09-04

Looks like it is failing to transcode from MPEG2 to HEVC. I am wondering why it is even transcoding MPEG2.

Can you check if you are FORCING Live TV transcoding? Disable it if it is on. This should send the raw MPEG2 stream to the shield. For testing, disable "Allow encoding in HEVC format" (will use H264 for all transcoding).

Sorry where are you referring to FORCING? I do have hardware transcode enabled under LiveTV.
FYI. I have a 3070 for GPU passthru and using NVIDIA NVENC.

RE: NVidiaShieldTV+HDHomeRun Not Working - TheDreadPirate - 2023-09-04

I don't have access to my jellyfin right now. I THINK the "force live tv transcode" setting is in the user dashboard. And is set per user.

For the record, MPEG2 to HEVC transcoding SHOULD work on the 3070.

You were correct. What I don't understand is why only the NVIDIA affected? 

One last question. Any knock on affect to local media playback by disabling the HEVC option?