Jellyfin Forum
Issues playing certain things on the TV? - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Issues playing certain things on the TV? (/t-issues-playing-certain-things-on-the-tv)

Issues playing certain things on the TV? - AceOfSerberit - 2023-08-28

So I'm quite new to using JellyFin, but am totally loving it!
The thing is that while I can watch anything fine on my laptop (that hosts the server) and on my phone via the app (granted with some issues. but none relevant to this post). There are a group of files I'm struggling to play on the TV, anime.

So I have a fairly extensive library of anime, and while I don't have all renamed and moved to the uploaded folder. It's still my most packed one. And when I try to play files from it it just refuses to play. At first I got around it by starting the play by casting it from my phone to the TV, but today that too failed me. All I get is a black screen. But cartoons, live action shows and movies are working fine.
At first I thought that the issue was in the files themselves, but yesterday I had made a separate folder for some less family friendly anime. Planning to keep them separate so I can more easily share access to the regular anime folder with others. Attempting it on a whim, they played just fine on the TV.

Would I be correct to assume that the playback issue stems from the folder size? or am I missing something? I'd really rather not make a ton of folders for all my anime...

I'd appreciate any help.
And I'm sorry but I don't know what info about my tech or set-up would be relevant or not. So if anything is needed I'll be more then happy to provide it

RE: Issues playing certain things on the TV? - TheDreadPirate - 2023-08-28

We would need your jellyfin and ffmpeg logs (if they exist) to diagnose. Library size is almost certainly not an issue.

RE: Issues playing certain things on the TV? - AceOfSerberit - 2023-08-28

(2023-08-28, 09:19 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: We would need your jellyfin and ffmpeg logs (if they exist) to diagnose.  Library size is almost certainly not an issue.

and how would I find those logs?

RE: Issues playing certain things on the TV? - TheDreadPirate - 2023-08-28

Windows = C:\ProgramData\Jellyfin\Server\log
Linux = /var/log/jellyfin/
Varies if you use docker.

You can also see them in your browser. Settings > Dashboard > Logs (left menu bar near the bottom)

(2023-08-28, 09:34 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Windows = C:\ProgramData\Jellyfin\Server\log

I found the folder, do I just copy+paste the one with todays date?

well we had a date change here, so I did a little experiment of sorts again.
I watched an episode of a show I knew worked, then tried to open a couple of new anime episodes. For some reason those ended up actually playing? But when I went to the ones I had tried before, they still failed...

(I tried posting the log, but it was way over the character limit...)

RE: Issues playing certain things on the TV? - bitmap - 2023-08-28

Copy the logs and put them on pastebin or save them as a .txt or .log file and attach them to your post. Please don't paste them in the content editor window for the forum, it would be impossible to parse them.

Preferred is a pastebin or similar solution, as it preserves formatting of the logs and adds line numbers and such so it makes the logs very easily readable.