Jellyfin Forum
Jellyfin on proxmox - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Jellyfin on proxmox (/t-jellyfin-on-proxmox)

Pages: 1 2 3

Jellyfin on proxmox - wbravin - 2024-10-11

Hello all

I am currently running Jellyfin server as an app in trunas scale with in tern is installed as a vm on proxmox. all works well

All my media disks are installed in proxmox and passed through to Truenas scale
My current Jellyfin server is @ 192.168.1.124:30013

Many individuals on this forum and others criticise this integration and demm it not optimal. The all suggest I install Jellyfin on proxmox as an LXC

I did create an ubuntu template LXC and installed Jellyfin media server. It is currently up and running however not configured.
I did add jellyfin as a user in all my media datasets

My question is how do i add a libraries to jellyfin? do i first need to mount the libraries in the proxmox lxc. I do not want to duplicate all my media file on more disks

Ie.: /192.168.1.124/mnt/media/Movies to load my movies does not work I get the path could not be found

What would be the correct path to input when trying to add a library?        

Thank you all in advance for any guidance provided

RE: Jellyfin on proxmox - TheDreadPirate - 2024-10-11

What protocol are you using for the network share? SMB or NFS? And what are the mount options you used in /etc/fstab?

RE: Jellyfin on proxmox - wbravin - 2024-10-11

HI TheDreadPirate

Most of my shares are SMB however i also use nfs for my linx pc

Thank you for your very prompt reply

Can you provide the mounting options you used in /etc/fstab?

RE: Jellyfin on proxmox - wbravin - 2024-10-11

I managed to get

apt-get install cifs-utils

root@jellyfinConfused-facemnt# mount -t cifs -o user=root //192.168.1.124/mnt/media/Shows /mnt/Media
Password for root@//192.168.1.124/mnt/media/Shows:
mount error(1): Operation not permitted
Refer to the mount.cifs(Nerd-face manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)

My truenas ip is 192.168.1.124
the shared folder is /mnt/media/
and the datasets are Movies Shows and Music

the ACL are owned by root and have wbravin as user with full control

I presume that i need to mount each dataset individually then they will mount each in /mnt/Media or can i
root@jellyfinConfused-facemnt# mount -t cifs -o user=root //192.168.1.124/mnt/media /mnt/Media and this will mount all 3 dataset in the LXC

I truly appreciate you helping me

The remote path and the credentials you're providing likely isn't correct. You created a share at a particular path, but that doesn't mean that you have to reference that full path.

In TrueNAS, it should provide you with a name for that share. It looks like you named it "media" with the information I can see from your commands. So it would likely be accessible with //192.168.1.124/media. Additionally, the username and password aren't going to be the root password for the Jellyfin LXC. It would be for the user ON TRUENAS that you granted permissions to access the share. It sounds like you created a jellyfin user on TrueNAS and granted that user permissions. You would use the "jellyfin" username and whatever password you created on TrueNAS as the credentials to access the SMB share.

I plan on writing a walkthrough for this process, but this Ubuntu forum post provides instructions for permanently mounting a SMB share.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/210937/mounted-smb-share-throu-fstab-gets-read-only-on-added-files

RE: Jellyfin on proxmox - madsepperl - 2024-10-12

(2024-10-11, 08:46 PM)wbravin Wrote: ...
mount error(1): Operation not permitted 
Refer to the mount.cifs(Nerd-face manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)

Please check if your LXC is privileged: In Proxmox VE select the LXC, choose "Options" and check "Unprivileged Container". If this is set to "Yes", then you can't mount remote file systems and you have several options:

1. Backup the LXC and restore as privileged LXC (the "official" Proxmox VE way)
2. mount the share on the Proxmox host and set a mountpoint in the LXC config
3. re-install the LXC from scratch with "Unprivileged Container=No"

cheers,
madsepperl

RE: Jellyfin on proxmox - wbravin - 2024-10-13

Hi Hope all are well

I deleted the LXC (which was created using the proxmox scripts) and created a new LXC using a ubuntu 24.
when creating the lxc i unchecked the unprivileged box (which i presume that this will make it privileged)allocated 16gb of disk 2 cores and 1024 ram. I then assigned an ip address and finished the lxc set up.

Went into the pve shell and as below tried to mount the share

root@pve:~# apt-get install cifs-utils
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
cifs-utils is already the newest version (2:7.0-2).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
root@pve:~# cd /mnt
root@pveConfused-facemnt# ls
media  pve  vzsnap0
root@pveConfused-facemnt# mount -t cifs -o user=root //192.168.1.124/media /mnt/media
Password for root@//192.168.1.124/media:
mount error(2): No such file or directory
root@pveConfused-facemnt# mount -t cifs -o user=root //192.168.1.124/media/Movies /mnt/media
Password for root@//192.168.1.124/media/Movies:
root@pveConfused-facemnt#

i even tried mount -t cifs -o user=root //192.168.1.124/media /mnt/media

root is the owner of my pool and of the datasets in trunas

As can be seen /mnt/media does exist in my jellyfing shell

my question would be do i put //192.168.1.124/mnt/media
or do i put //192.168.1.124/media as my source

since media is my pool name, and movies shows and music are my datasets do i need to repeat this line for every dataset or will the that pointing to //192.168.1.124/media will mount all the datasets in that pool to /mnt/media in the LXC?

root has the same password on all my servers datasets and pools

Thank you for your continued help how can i buy you a beer?

RE: Jellyfin on proxmox - TheDreadPirate - 2024-10-13

(2024-10-13, 08:18 PM)wbravin Wrote: or do i put //192.168.1.124/media as my source

This one.

(2024-10-13, 08:18 PM)wbravin Wrote: since media is my pool name, and movies shows and music are my datasets do i need to repeat this line for every dataset or will the that pointing to //192.168.1.124/media will mount all the datasets in that pool to /mnt/media in the LXC?

Just mount media.

RE: Jellyfin on proxmox - wbravin - 2024-10-14

Thank you for your prompt reply

I tried again as per below;

I tried /server/mnt/media/, /server/media/, server/media/Movies

user=wbravin, user=jellyfin, user=root, user=admin
privileged and unprivileged lxc

If i cd /mnt/media in the pve shell i do see /mnt/media
why does it keep saying error 2 no such file or directory

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Sun Oct 13 22:51:29 CEST 2024 on pts/0
root@pve:~# mount -t cifs -o user=jellyfin,vers=2.0 //192.168.1.124/media /mnt/media/
Password for jellyfin@//192.168.1.124/media:
root@pve:~# cd /mnt/media
root@pveConfused-facemnt/media# ls
root@pveConfused-facemnt/media#