Jellyfin Forum
It is not possible to fast-forward or rewind a series; it always jumps to the beginni - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: It is not possible to fast-forward or rewind a series; it always jumps to the beginni (/t-it-is-not-possible-to-fast-forward-or-rewind-a-series-it-always-jumps-to-the-beginni)

It is not possible to fast-forward or rewind a series; it always jumps to the beginni - Jelly-User - 2024-10-19

Hello,
I have a problem with a series that I converted from BluRay, just like other series before.
Videocodec h.265, original audio tracks, subtitles as srt
When I press back in an episode, it jumps to the beginning of the episode. If I want to “fast forward” from the beginning of the episode, it starts again at the beginning.
Why is that?
Jellyfin runs as a docker in UnRaid, the latest version is installed. I've also already closed and restarted Docker, but to no avail.
Most of the episodes in the series are less than 30 minutes long. Could that be the reason? Is there somewhere I can change this?
Playback is via an NVidia Shield Pro.
Thanks for your help :-)

RE: It is not possible to fast-forward or rewind a series; it always jumps to the beginni - TheDreadPirate - 2024-10-19

What app did you use to create the files? And what container are they in?

RE: It is not possible to fast-forward or rewind a series; it always jumps to the beginni - Jelly-User - 2024-10-19

I use Handbrake, convert the footage to h.265, take the audio from the original file and use MKVToolNix to create a new .mkv file, just like I always do.
There is nothing special about the files, I have already used the same settings and procedures for many series.
On the PC, I can go back and forth using the Jellyfin app, and then start again, but on the TV, using NVidia Shield Pro with the Android app 0.17.7, it doesn't work, at least not with this series. On the PC, I had virtually placed the cursor at the point where I wanted to continue watching, on the TV I had gone to “continue watching” and the episode had then started again from the beginning, even if I selected a different chapter.
My approach to creating.
Use makeMKV to play BluRay on PC, use Handbrake to convert the episodes, use MKVToolNix to mix picture and (original) sound together. Use Filebot to name the episodes. Then use MetaX to tag the episodes, similar to mp3 files. Done.

RE: It is not possible to fast-forward or rewind a series; it always jumps to the beginni - TheDreadPirate - 2024-10-19

Unrelated, Handbrake can pass through audio without transcoding to the output file.  You don't have to use MKVToolnix to remux with the original audio.

If you're using an Nvidia GPU, I can send you the Handbrake preset I used to use when I was using Handbrake to convert my media to HEVC.

Back to your issue.  It sounds like the container is borked in some way.  If you open a bash shell for the jellyfin container, you can use ffmpeg on the command line to remux and fix any container issues.  No re-encoding.

Code:
/usr/lib/jellyfin-ffmpeg/ffmpeg -fflags +genpts+igndts -i "/path/to/your/video.mkv" -map 0 -codec copy -max_muxing_queue_size 2048 -max_interleave_delta 0 -avoid_negative_ts auto newFile.mkv