Jellyfin Forum
Jellyfin Android TV Playback Issue with HEVC HDR Content - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Jellyfin Android TV Playback Issue with HEVC HDR Content (/t-jellyfin-android-tv-playback-issue-with-hevc-hdr-content)

Jellyfin Android TV Playback Issue with HEVC HDR Content - gvns - 2024-10-20

TL;DR: Jellyfin isn't playing HEVC HDR videos on Android TV. The app shows errors and stops playing. I need help to fix this so I can watch these videos smoothly.

I really like using Jellyfin for my media server. But I've run into a big problem that stops me from watching certain videos. Specifically, I can't play HEVC HDR files, which is what most new movies use these days. This issue is stopping me from using Jellyfin to its full potential for watching my videos. I'm looking for help or advice on how to fix this playback problem with HEVC HDR videos on my Android TV. Any help would be great, thanks!

Environment
  • Jellyfin version: 10.9.11
  • Docker container on Unraid 7 beta 3
  • Package: bbergle-jellyfin
  • iGPU decoding enabled for all supported options including HEVC 10-bit
  • Jellyfin Android TV client 0.17.7
Issue Description
Experiencing playback issues with HEVC encoded files on Android TV. A few seconds into playback, the following errors occur:
  • "Playback error encountered. Will retry..."
  • "Too many errors. Giving up"
The playback then fails and returns to the menu screen.

Affected Content
Example file: Pulp.Fiction.1994.1080p.UHD.BluRay.DDP5.1.DoVi.x265-NTb.mkv
Video Details
  • Codec: HEVC
  • Profile: Main 10
  • Level: 153
  • Resolution: 1920x816
  • Framerate: 23.976025
  • Bitrate: 14219 kbps
  • Bit depth: 10 bit
  • Video range: HDR
  • Video range type: DOVIWithHDR10
  • Color space: bt2020nc
  • Color transfer: smpte2084
  • Color primaries: bt2020
Audio Details
  • Primary: EAC3, 5.1 channels, 1024 kbps
  • Secondary: AC3, stereo, 192 kbps
Client Information
  • Device: Mi Box running Android TV
  • Jellyfin client version: 0.17.7
Additional Information
  • Issue occurs with several different h265 encoded movies
  • Playback works as expected on the web client
  • Issue seems to be related to transcoding rather than direct play

Logs

Relevant log snippet:
Code:
[2024-10-19 17:10:27.355 -07:00] [INF] [10] MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.Transcoding.TranscodeManager: Deleting partial stream file(s) "/cache/transcodes/8b479db230cd169d2c83c0aacf95d4c1.m3u8"
[/color]
[color=#ffffff][2024-10-19 17:10:29.888 -07:00] [INF] [38] Emby.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionManager: Playback stopped reported by app "Jellyfin Web" "10.9.11" playing "Pulp Fiction". Stopped at "98722" ms[/color]
[color=#ffffff][2024-10-19 17:10:29.930 -07:00] [ERR] [38] MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.ProviderManager: Error in metadata saver[/color]
[color=#ffffff]System.IO.IOException: Read-only file system : '/data/movies/Pulp Fiction (1994)/movie.nfo'[/color]
[color=#ffffff]  at Interop.ThrowExceptionForIoErrno(ErrorInfo errorInfo, String path, Boolean isDirError)[/color]
[color=#ffffff]  at Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafeFileHandle.Open(String fullPath, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, FileOptions options, Int64 preallocationSize, UnixFileMode openPermissions, Int64& fileLength, UnixFileMode& filePermissions, Boolean failForSymlink, Boolean& wasSymlink, Func`4 createOpenException)[/color]
[color=#ffffff]  at System.IO.Strategies.OSFileStreamStrategy..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, FileOptions options, Int64 preallocationSize, Nullable`1 unixCreateMode)[/color]
[color=#ffffff]  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileStreamOptions options)[/color]
[color=#ffffff]  at MediaBrowser.XbmcMetadata.Savers.BaseNfoSaver.SaveToFileAsync(Stream stream, String path)[/color]
[color=#ffffff]  at MediaBrowser.XbmcMetadata.Savers.BaseNfoSaver.SaveAsync(BaseItem item, CancellationToken cancellationToken)[/color]
[color=#ffffff]  at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.ProviderManager.SaveMetadataAsync(BaseItem item, ItemUpdateType updateType, IEnumerable`1 savers)[/color]
[color=#ffffff][2024-10-19 17:10:29.951 -07:00] [INF] [61] Jellyfin.Plugin.PlaybackReporting.EventMonitorEntryPoint: Playback stop tracker found, processing stop : "TW96aWxsYS81LjAgKE1hY2ludG9zaDsgSW50ZWwgTWFjIE9TIFggMTBfMTVfNykgQXBwbGVXZWJLaXQvNjA1LjEuMTUgKEtIVE1MLCBsaWtlIEdlY2tvKSBWZXJzaW9uLzE3LjUgU2FmYXJpLzYwNS4xLjE1fDE3MTY3ODM4MDExMzA1-4bb52952f51d4f0889410af1316d0de3-d39e2a3cff95ac733e9fbde91874a596"[/color]
[color=#ffffff][2024-10-19 17:10:29.951 -07:00] [INF] [61] Jellyfin.Plugin.PlaybackReporting.Data.PlaybackTracker: PlaybackTracker : Adding Stop Event : 10/19/2024 17:10:29[/color]
[color=#ffffff][2024-10-19 17:10:29.951 -07:00] [INF] [61] Jellyfin.Plugin.PlaybackReporting.EventMonitorEntryPoint: Saving playback tracking activity in DB

RE: Jellyfin Android TV Playback Issue with HEVC HDR Content - TheDreadPirate - 2024-10-20

What is the client device?

RE: Jellyfin Android TV Playback Issue with HEVC HDR Content - gvns - 2024-10-20

Client device is a Xiaomi Mi Box 3 running Android 9, with the jellyfin-androidtv 0.17.7 release

RE: Jellyfin Android TV Playback Issue with HEVC HDR Content - gvns - 2024-10-20

Ahh, I am realizing why you asked about the client device specifically. I infer that for HEVC decoding in hardware on the client, I need a client device that supports that. Though, I am under the impression that without hardware decoding there is still the option for software decoding.

I figure I have two options:
- replace that client device with a better one that supports HEVC hardware decoding
- re-encode the source videos

Am I on the right track here?

RE: Jellyfin Android TV Playback Issue with HEVC HDR Content - TheDreadPirate - 2024-10-20

The problem is the HDR part. From the spec sheet it mentions 4K HEVC, but not 10-bit HEVC nor HDR.

Ahh, good catch. What would you suggest is my best option then? I figure I should probably replace the device. Is Chromecast the best option still? I see a few others on the market and I know Google is dropping it in favour of their TV Streamer box.

It depends on what you want. The Nvidia Shield Pro, on the high end, supposedly has excellent audio codec support if you have a received hooked up to it.

If you just need a streaming box, I have two Chromecast with Google TV 4Ks and the new Google TV Streamer. No issues with either. Roku's are also good. I have the 4800X (that I only use for testing) and it is very responsive and performant, though I don't care for the interface.

Avoid Firesticks.

Gotcha, thanks for all the advice and insight here. I appreciate your taking the time to go into detail!

In the interim, I am using an iPad Air and using the web client to play HEVC HDR content. Less convenient but it works.