Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: Jellyfin Unavailable after IP change - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: Jellyfin Unavailable after IP change (/t-solved-jellyfin-unavailable-after-ip-change)

Jellyfin Unavailable after IP change - spooknik - 2023-06-21

Hello! 

I have Jellyfin installed on my home server and I changed the router and therefore also the IP assignment of LAN devices. So IPs when from 192.168.1.XXX to 192.54.35.XXX for example. 

It took awhile but DHCP kicked in and the home server got a new IP from the router. However, Jellyfin (running on port 8096) is not available after this IP change. I restarted the Jellyfin service and rebooted the server but no change. 

If I go to the server's IP and port, it shows the Jellyfin select server screen and if I type in the IP and port, it cannot find anything.

So any clue how to get Jellyfin to run again? All my other services are running just fine.

RE: Jellyfin Unavailable after IP change - deslea - 2023-06-21

What OS are you using? If on Windows, make sure the new network is recognised as a private one. If it thinks it's public, the firewall is probably blocking it. If on Linux, I'd look at firewall rules using sudo ufw status to make sure it's allowed there.

RE: Jellyfin Unavailable after IP change - spooknik - 2023-06-21

Sorry, forgot to mention I am using Debian. And there are no firewall rules that would prevent access.

RE: Jellyfin Unavailable after IP change - Fallenbagel - 2023-06-21

How is jellyfin installed?
Make sure it's running (you can check the logs, journalctl/systemctl, or docker logs if installed through docker).
If its running, try accessing your ip:port in a private tab or after clearing cache

(2023-06-21, 02:50 PM)Fallenbagel Wrote: How is jellyfin installed?
Make sure it's running (you can check the logs, journalctl/systemctl, or docker logs if installed through docker).
If its running, try accessing your ip:port in a private tab or after clearing cache

It's install via the official ubuntu repo. 

Tired in a private tab and the same result. I get the select server screen but when I enter the server's new IP and port it doesn't work. Just says "Connection Failure". The same result on the LG WebOS app. 

journalctl reveals this: 

Code:
[17:35:36] [INF] Using LAN addresses: [10.0.0.0/8,172.16.0.0/12,192.168.0.0/16]

The 192.168.0.0 part is wrong. The new IP address is something else. It's strange because I can access the the server selection page on the new IP and port, but when I try to actually connect to Jellyfin it doesn't work.  

Connection Failure journalctl

Could you post the full logs? Or atleast like restart jellyfin and post the logs from when it restarts

(2023-06-21, 04:47 PM)Fallenbagel Wrote: Could you post the full logs? Or atleast like restart jellyfin and post the logs from when it restarts

Sure here ya go: https://paste.spooknik.com/deregikero.sql

Moved the current log file and then restarted Jellyfin, so the log is fresh after the restart.

Hmm. It seems to be running perfectly. Have you tried a different browser? Also make sure this issue is not happening:
https://forum.jellyfin.org/t-solved-multiple-network-messages-in-syslog?pid=184#pid184
Where both your wlan and eth are configured and using same ip.

Also another thing you can check is the networking.xml. Its in the config folder. Make sure there's no configuration there that could interfere with the connection. It would be helpful in narrowing down your problem if you could also share that file as well.

Edit: oh wait I just read your message clearly. Your ip range is now 192.54.35.XXX right? What's your subnet mask? Is it 255.255.255.0? If so your subnet would be I think 192.54.35.0/24. If the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0 then the subnet would be 192.54.0.0/16. You can check your ip and subnet mask using ip a
  1. Stop jellyfin
  2. Go to the config folder
  3. Find network.xml
  4. Edit it
  5. Find <LocalNetworkSubnets />
  6. Add your subnet for example your subnet was 192.54.35.0/24 then add in <LocalNetworkSubnets>192.54.35.0/24<LocalNetworkSubnets />. If its 192.54.0.0/16 then add in that. You could try adding both just to be safe with comma separated.
  7. Save it and bring up jellyfin and try now.

(2023-06-21, 07:47 PM)Fallenbagel Wrote: Hmm. It seems to be running perfectly. Have you tried a different browser? Also make sure this issue is not happening:
https://forum.jellyfin.org/t-solved-multiple-network-messages-in-syslog?pid=184#pid184
Where both your wlan and eth are configured and using same ip.

Also another thing you can check is the networking.xml. Its in the config folder. Make sure there's no configuration there that could interfere with the connection. It would be helpful in narrowing down your problem if you could also share that file as well.

Edit: oh wait I just read your message clearly. Your ip range is now 192.54.35.XXX right? What's your subnet mask? Is it 255.255.255.0? If so your subnet would be I think 192.54.35.0/24. If the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0 then the subnet would be 192.54.0.0/16. You can check your ip and subnet mask using ip a
  1. Stop jellyfin
  2. Go to the config folder
  3. Find network.xml
  4. Edit it
  5. Find <LocalNetworkSubnets />
  6. Add your subnet for example your subnet was 192.54.35.0/24 then add in <LocalNetworkSubnets>192.54.35.0/24<LocalNetworkSubnets />. If its 192.54.0.0/16 then add in that. You could try adding both just to be safe with comma separated.
  7. Save it and bring up jellyfin and try now.

Changing the subnet in network.xml worked. Complete oversight on my part! Thanks a lot Ok-hand