Jellyfin Forum
This client isn't compatible with the media and the server isn't sending a compatible - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: This client isn't compatible with the media and the server isn't sending a compatible (/t-this-client-isn-t-compatible-with-the-media-and-the-server-isn-t-sending-a-compatible)

This client isn't compatible with the media and the server isn't sending a compatible - crazyjoker96 - 2023-09-02

I am running my local instance of jellyfin
under a Cloudflare runner, and when I navigate into
it with a domine name I get the following error

>This client isn't compatible with the media and the server isn't sending a compatible media format.

But when I navigate with the IP and Port all works, any idea what is going wrong?

I am running the server with the following docker configuration

version: '3.5'
services:
  jellyfin:
    image: jellyfin/jellyfin:latest
    container_name: jellyfin
    network_mode: 'host'
    volumes:
      - /media/nas/.jellyfin/config:/config
      - /media/nas/.jellyfin/cache:/cache
      - /media/nas:/media
    restart: 'unless-stopped'

RE: This client isn't compatible with the media and the server isn't sending a compatible - bitmap - 2023-09-02

This is related to playback, not networking. This message occurs when you're trying to play a piece of media correct? Are you using two different clients? For instance, web browser vs. mobile phone or web vs. TV or Roku?

Different clients will be compatible with different media, which will cause the client to request for the server to transcode the media to a different format. The only other difference that could cause this in a local vs. remote situation is whether you have bandwidth limits set either globally outside the network or specifically for the user experiencing this issue.

RE: This client isn't compatible with the media and the server isn't sending a compatible - crazyjoker96 - 2023-09-02

(2023-09-02, 11:05 AM)bitmap Wrote: This is related to playback, not networking. This message occurs when you're trying to play a piece of media correct? Are you using two different clients? For instance, web browser vs. mobile phone or web vs. TV or Roku?

Different clients will be compatible with different media, which will cause the client to request for the server to transcode the media to a different format. The only other difference that could cause this in a local vs. remote situation is whether you have bandwidth limits set either globally outside the network or specifically for the user experiencing this issue.

No it is happening on the same client, I am just passing through clouflare stunned when I use the domine name.

I did not understand the solution that you are proposing it you are to.

RE: This client isn't compatible with the media and the server isn't sending a compatible - iEiEi - 2024-02-28

Hello Forum,

I ran into the same problem with Chrome Browser. Just installed Jellyfin out of the box in Ubuntu 22.04, set up everything needed and couldn't play any mp3-file in Chrome, but it works in Firefox. I tested all from my MacBook and then directly on the Ubuntu desktop, the same problem there.

I just would like to use Chrome Browser for streaming my music archive to my 2 ChromeCast speakers.

So what's wrong? Usually the Chrome Browser is able to play mp3-files without any special adjustments.

Thanks for your help,
Achim

EDIT:
I don't know why Chrome doesn't play the mp3 files directly, but if I connect to ChromeCast first and then try playback, it works. But I found out that there is no queue when I stream to ChromeCast. Unfortunately, this is then also unusable.

That works like a charm:
Currently I'm using Firefox for Jellyfin Web and the playback works fine, also the queue seems to be stably available. For streaming playback to the ChromeCast speaker group I use Mkchromecast.