Jellyfin Forum
Can't connect to the Local server via Ethernet on the local network - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Can't connect to the Local server via Ethernet on the local network (/t-can-t-connect-to-the-local-server-via-ethernet-on-the-local-network)

Can't connect to the Local server via Ethernet on the local network - hazerOW - 2023-09-04

Hi,
I'm unable to connect to my local server (Windows 11/Ethernet) via my Android TV which is using an Ethernet cable.
I have opened ports both on the router and Firewall, binded my IP to 0.0.0.0.
The funny thing is if I restart the router, I'm able to connect perfectly, but I lose the ability to connect locally with time.
I don't have CGNAT either.
I have tried and searched, and I can't find a solution to fix the problemĀ  Upside-down-face

RE: Can't connect to the Local server via Ethernet on the local network - bitmap - 2023-09-04

Sounds like you're using DHCP, losing your lease, getting a new IP address, and then you can't connect. Also, 0.0.0.0 is...not a valid IP (it's a range...all addresses). Wild guess incoming.

So you need to make sure that your server -- whatever computer you're running it on -- has a static IP address. Then it won't change over time.

Also, if you're not accessing outside your home (and even if you are, really) don't forward/open your ports. Find a different remote access strategy that doesn't just open your internal network to the world. Reverse proxy isn't that terribly hard to figure out, Tailscale is a really easy solution, and VPN is always a good solution (which Tailscale is a user-friendly implementation of).

RE: Can't connect to the Local server via Ethernet on the local network - hazerOW - 2023-09-04

(2023-09-04, 09:06 AM)bitmap Wrote: Sounds like you're using DHCP, losing your lease, getting a new IP address, and then you can't connect. Also, 0.0.0.0 is...not a valid IP (it's a range...all addresses). Wild guess incoming.

So you need to make sure that your server -- whatever computer you're running it on -- has a static IP address. Then it won't change over time.

Also, if you're not accessing outside your home (and even if you are, really) don't forward/open your ports. Find a different remote access strategy that doesn't just open your internal network to the world. Reverse proxy isn't that terribly hard to figure out, Tailscale is a really easy solution, and VPN is always a good solution (which Tailscale is a user-friendly implementation of).

I have my IP address on static, but I cannot even see my server on the Android TV.

Also, I guess ill just disable remote access since I'm not using it at all hahaha.

RE: Can't connect to the Local server via Ethernet on the local network - bitmap - 2023-09-04

Let's back up -- how did you install Jellyfin and what hardware and operating system is your server running on? Is your *server* set to a static IP address?

You said you bound your IP to 0.0.0.0 -- this only makes sense if you're running Jellyfin in Docker. Otherwise, that's a problem.

RE: Can't connect to the Local server via Ethernet on the local network - hazerOW - 2023-09-05

(2023-09-04, 08:32 PM)bitmap Wrote: Let's back up -- how did you install Jellyfin and what hardware and operating system is your server running on? Is your *server* set to a static IP address?

You said you bound your IP to 0.0.0.0 -- this only makes sense if you're running Jellyfin in Docker. Otherwise, that's a problem.

I have it installed on Windows 11, the server is set to a static IP address both DHCP and in my network settings.
I tried the 0.0.0.0 trick but it didn't change, so I have it set as default now.

RE: Can't connect to the Local server via Ethernet on the local network - TheDreadPirate - 2023-09-05

The binding address field should be blank, unless you have a specific reason for defining a particular interface. Try manually opening ports 8096 instead of allowing jellyfin the application.

RE: Can't connect to the Local server via Ethernet on the local network - hazerOW - 2023-09-05

(2023-09-05, 09:28 AM)hazerOW Wrote:
(2023-09-04, 08:32 PM)bitmap Wrote: Let's back up -- how did you install Jellyfin and what hardware and operating system is your server running on? Is your *server* set to a static IP address?

I have it installed on Windows 11, the server is set to a static IP address both DHCP and in my network settings.
I tried the 0.0.0.0 trick but it didn't change, so I have it set as default now.

I have already done that, both the server and client i set to static IP, the client cant connect to the server if i restart the router or plug it in to a different ethernet port, but after a few hours it cant communicate with the server.

RE: Can't connect to the Local server via Ethernet on the local network - crespo465 - 2024-04-07

(2023-09-05, 06:13 PM)hazerOW Wrote:
(2023-09-05, 09:28 AM)hazerOW Wrote:

I have already done that, both the server and client i set to static IP, the client cant connect to the server if i restart the router or plug it in to a different ethernet port, but after a few hours it cant communicate with the server.

Yeah, I have the same problem. Any solutions?