Jellyfin Forum
Edited: I liked the reddit format over typical Forums (not reddit itself) - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-off-topic)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-discussion)
+--- Thread: Edited: I liked the reddit format over typical Forums (not reddit itself) (/t-edited-i-liked-the-reddit-format-over-typical-forums-not-reddit-itself)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Edited: I liked the reddit format over typical Forums (not reddit itself) - gaming09 - 2023-06-21

Forums seem like a step backwards i know everyone wants to stick it to the man but from a usability perspective was nice to have things under one roof

edit:
I love JF, Selfhosted community, and fuck reddit ceo. It was just much easier to find overall answers, it had its massive flaws but was very "utility". But after reading the comments here ive decided to edit this post with a less rara reddit feel to it as, that was not my intention. I will contribute where I can and i very much appreciate the community and devs. it was never my intention to offend or dismiss the work the dev team and admins of jellfyin.org put in.

RE: can we go back to reddit - nota - 2023-06-21

Maybe give it more than a few minutes to settle in? Every time an interface changes, people complain. And, then adapt and can't see how they lived with it before.

RE: can we go back to reddit - gaming09 - 2023-06-21

(2023-06-21, 06:33 PM)nota Wrote: Maybe give it more than a few minutes to settle in? Every time an interface changes, people complain. And, then adapt and can't see how they lived with it before.

I get it, its just easier having other support forums right there, ie unraid/homelabs/datahoarders etc etc and to be able to cross post. We went from forums to reddit / discord and then primary back to forums here. I'll support jellyfin until i die I just feel like theres better opporutnities to create our own reddit format vs a traditional forum

RE: can we go back to reddit - skribe - 2023-06-21

(2023-06-21, 06:53 PM)gaming09 Wrote:
(2023-06-21, 06:33 PM)nota Wrote: Maybe give it more than a few minutes to settle in? Every time an interface changes, people complain. And, then adapt and can't see how they lived with it before.

I get it, its just easier having other support forums right there, ie unraid/homelabs/datahoarders etc etc and to be able to cross post. We went from forums to reddit / discord and then primary back to forums here. I'll support jellyfin until i die I just feel like theres better opporutnities to create our own reddit format vs a traditional forum

Anyone is free to create a community led space on whatever site they desire. You're welcome to create a jellyfin forum on reddit or anywhere else, it just won't be an official communication space for the project. Team members will not troubleshoot there and announcements will not be posted there for discussion.

What you are seeing as a strength here--namely cross pollination with a number of other conceptually adjacent spaces--is actually something that I personally was looking to get away from. I had stopped participating on the subreddit for some time already simply because I didn't agree with some of the common recommendations that such a community was frequently providing to jellyfin users. Moving to our own forum means we have full control over the space, and the culture here is more isolated from the larger self-hosting community. I think that's by design. I think a lot of the community, and the development team, already thought that there had been a significant drop off in terms of quality on the subreddit as the jellyfin project has grown. And that was true even before reddit, as a site, started acting as they have more recently. It was just the last straw.

In any case, other points of contact, including the much more reddit-like Lemmy instance, also exist already. You're welcome to use them. But I do not imagine that the team would be particularly interested in moving the official enduring point of contact back to reddit any time in the foreseeable future.

RE: can we go back to reddit - kwm1800 - 2023-06-21

Forum is actually more functional than reddit-style listings. Reddit is really made for consumption, forum is for discussions.

RE: can we go back to reddit - joshuaboniface - 2023-06-21

Pretty much going to echo @skribe and @kwm1800 here.

Reddit is not a forum. It was never designed to be a forum. It had a completely separate use: a link aggregator. I was around long enough to remember when comments were new and self-posts weren't even a thing. It was built for a completely different purpose.

Then, somehow, Reddit (link aggregator) and Discord (glorified chat) took over forums for some reason, a net negative for the Internet as whole. And the reason is exactly what OP said: "convenience". It was a platform, and like all platforms it benefited from keeping your eyeballs on it at all times, regardless of what else suffered because of it.

I'm of the opinion that going back to forums is a net benefit for the community. As mentioned, they foster actual conversations and discussions rather than shallow consumption and low-effort content that drops into the memory bin in a few hours or days (at best). And, despite being a participant in all of those places you mentioned, I agree with Skribe. Sure, having those other communities on the same site can have benefits, but it can also have drawbacks. The "hive mind" is very real and can be very detrimental. And frankly Reddit just sucked for troubleshooting.

We were planning to create this space for a while anyways but the Reddit shenannegans really just pushed up our timelines. Our goal now is to build this site into a place with enough knowledgeable people to replace the shallow participation of those other Reddit communities in the Jellyfin space, and foster a culture where good info won't be lost in the noise.

And I mean, you are by all means free to use Reddit as you see fit, and to post about Jellyfin in any of those subreddits. I'll still be there as /u/djbon2112 too (at least until old.reddit.com and BaconReader stop working). I'm sure they'll help. But /r/jellyfin is dead by our hand and is staying that way, at least from our side; we have zero plans to go back to Steve Huffman's Wild Ride for official support purposes.

RE: can we go back to reddit - kwm1800 - 2023-06-22

(2023-06-21, 11:41 PM)joshuaboniface Wrote: Pretty much going to echo @skribe and @kwm1800 here.

Reddit is not a forum. It was never designed to be a forum. It had a completely separate use: a link aggregator. I was around long enough to remember when comments were new and self-posts weren't even a thing. It was built for a completely different purpose.

Then, somehow, Reddit (link aggregator) and Discord (glorified chat) took over forums for some reason, a net negative for the Internet as whole. And the reason is exactly what OP said: "convenience". It was a platform, and like all platforms it benefited from keeping your eyeballs on it at all times, regardless of what else suffered because of it.

I'm of the opinion that going back to forums is a net benefit for the community. As mentioned, they foster actual conversations and discussions rather than shallow consumption and low-effort content that drops into the memory bin in a few hours or days (at best). And, despite being a participant in all of those places you mentioned, I agree with Skribe. Sure, having those other communities on the same site can have benefits, but it can also have drawbacks. The "hive mind" is very real and can be very detrimental. And frankly Reddit just sucked for troubleshooting.

We were planning to create this space for a while anyways but the Reddit shenannegans really just pushed up our timelines. Our goal now is to build this site into a place with enough knowledgeable people to replace the shallow participation of those other Reddit communities in the Jellyfin space, and foster a culture where good info won't be lost in the noise.

And I mean, you are by all means free to use Reddit as you see fit, and to post about Jellyfin in any of those subreddits. I'll still be there as /u/djbon2112 too (at least until old.reddit.com and BaconReader stop working). I'm sure they'll help. But /r/jellyfin is dead by our hand and is staying that way, at least from our side; we have zero plans to go back to Steve Huffman's Wild Ride for official support purposes.

I didn't even know Reddit started without a comment system. That explains a lot about the inherent difficulty in maintaining quality long discussions in Reddit.

RE: can we go back to reddit - biscuit - 2023-06-22

Something that I will miss is comment voting. On smaller forum threads, it's quick and easy to speed through and find an answer, but on multiple-page threads with an answer buried on page 17 it becomes tedious.

With votes it would normally bring relevant answer(s) to the top, albeit if the community is to be trusted and hasn't gone full Eternal-September.

RE: can we go back to reddit - helio - 2023-06-22

It hasn't even been a day, relax dawg.

RE: can we go back to reddit - MikeFromIT - 2023-06-22

(2023-06-21, 06:23 PM)gaming09 Wrote: Forums seem like a step backwards i know everyone wants to stick it to the man but from a usability perspective was nice to have things under one roof

Everything related to jellyfin is now under one roof, this website.