Jellyfin Forum
"Playback error" since re-installed, likely missing ffmpeg - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: "Playback error" since re-installed, likely missing ffmpeg (/t-playback-error-since-re-installed-likely-missing-ffmpeg--913)

"Playback error" since re-installed, likely missing ffmpeg - rdrulez - 2023-09-05

[accidentally posted first in "Media Scanning & Identification originally, re-posting here, not sure how to delete original post]

Hi all, hoping you can help me please because I'm tearing my hair out trying to fix this myself, I come here after many Googling and uninstall/reinstalls to no avail.

Basically running Jellyfin on TrueNAS Core for many months, everything was fine until yesterday when my playback abruptly ended. I later found out my NAS ran out of memory. Cleared some space, rebooted and then my Jellyfin server wasn't detectable. Couldn't fix it no matter what I did so in the end I uninstalled and then reinstalled Jellyfin.

After the fresh install the web UI is back and everything was looking good, mounted my file share and everything looked to be back to normal. Tried to play something and got this error "Playback Error: This client isn't compatible with the media and the server isn't sending a compatible media format."

Checked the logs and seeing the following:
Code:
[2023-09-05 11:37:13.400 +01:00] [ERR] [4] MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.Encoder.MediaEncoder: FFmpeg validation: The process returned no result
[2023-09-05 11:37:13.400 +01:00] [WRN] [4] MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.Encoder.MediaEncoder: FFmpeg: Failed version check: "ffmpeg"
[2023-09-05 11:37:13.427 +01:00] [INF] [4] MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.Encoder.MediaEncoder: FFmpeg: ""
Code:
[2023-09-05 12:15:42.989 +01:00] [ERR] [68] Jellyfin.Server.Middleware.ExceptionMiddleware: Error processing request. URL "GET" "/videos/503d7aa0-5680-ef37-8c40-ec9034c2374d/live.m3u8".

System.ArgumentException: FFmpeg path not set.

In the "Playback settings" I see the "FFmpeg path" is empty,  I swear when it was working maybe this had something like "/opt/..." , but now no matter what I choose Jellyfin is telling me:
"We're unable to locate FFmpeg using the path you've entered. FFprobe is also required and must exist in the same folder. These components are normally bundled together in the same download. Please check the path and try again."

So I believe my issue is due to missing FFmpeg, but how can I fix it? Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't fix it. (I confirmed during reinstallation the "FFmpeg packages" said they were installed correctly too).

Any help is very much appreciated, as my use of Jellyfin is totally broken at the moment.

RE: "Playback error" since re-installed, likely missing ffmpeg - Venson - 2023-09-05

Deleted old thread

RE: "Playback error" since re-installed, likely missing ffmpeg - rdrulez - 2023-09-05

Thanks for deleting the old thread, would welcome any ideas how to fix this. For example, how can I validate that indeed FFmpeg installed correctly, and if not how can I manually re-install it via the TrueNAS command terminal?

RE: "Playback error" since re-installed, likely missing ffmpeg - skribe - 2023-09-05

(2023-09-05, 01:51 PM)rdrulez Wrote: Thanks for deleting the old thread, would welcome any ideas how to fix this. For example, how can I validate that indeed FFmpeg installed correctly, and if not how can I manually re-install it via the TrueNAS command terminal?

TrueNAS is not an officially supported platform, so just hang tight. It might take a minute for someone knowledgeable to swing by to help.

To be clear: you're very welcome to post related questions here, and the community will help support you I am sure. But it might take a minute since the Jellyfin project doesn't actually maintain or support TrueNAS installations. Just hang tight.

It may also be helpful to ask in TrueNAS support forums as well. You might find someone there who has configured jellyfin in a similar way.

RE: "Playback error" since re-installed, likely missing ffmpeg - rdrulez - 2023-09-05

Hi @skribe, apologies - I genuinely didn't know the TrueNAS Jellyfin app wasn't an officially supported plugin until you mentioned it. I'll ask around the TrueNAS forums as you suggested in the meantime to explore other avenues for help.

Thanks again

RE: "Playback error" since re-installed, likely missing ffmpeg - skribe - 2023-09-05

(2023-09-05, 05:48 PM)rdrulez Wrote: Hi @skribe, apologies - I genuinely didn't know the TrueNAS Jellyfin app wasn't an officially supported plugin until you mentioned it. I'll ask around the TrueNAS forums as you suggested in the meantime to explore other avenues for help.

Thanks again

Absolutely no worries. Again, just to be clear: you're welcome to ask for help with TrueNAS here as well. Just wanted to let you know that it might take a little more time for help.