Jellyfin Forum
Android TV + Vimu MP + .srt not working - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Android TV + Vimu MP + .srt not working (/t-android-tv-vimu-mp-srt-not-working)

Android TV + Vimu MP + .srt not working - Webslinger - 2023-09-06

HiĀ  Grinning-face

I'm using a Nokia 8010 Android TV streaming box as a client and use Vimu media player as an external media player because it's the only one that converts aac 5.1 on the fly to something my soundbar supports. (keeping the 5.1 intact and not like other players, turning it to stereo).
My server is a windows pc.

This setup works very well, but I found a tiny problem involving external subtitles;
embedded subtitles work without issue, but seperate .srt files do not, Vimu just can't find them, even though they are named correctly and are in the same folder.
(FYI the internal Exo Player can see / use the .srt files)

The Vimu developer thinks it might be related to the type of network address Jellyfin server spits out to the movie's location, making it hard for Vimu (in it's current state) to backtrack that connection and search for other files in that location.

Can anyone tell me what kind of info / network address Jellyfin server passes to the mediaplayer?
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix the problem? Should it be fixed on Jellyfin's end or Vimu's?

I don't know how to work with / read code, I just see the GUI of the program, that's about as far as my technical knowledge goes, sorry.

Hope someone wants to help.
Thnx

RE: Android TV + Vimu MP + .srt not working - niels - 2023-09-06

The Android TV app does send external subtitles to video players. It is sending the following properties related to subtitles to the video players:

subs
subs.name
subs.filename
subs.enable
subtitles_location

If this doesn't work for the Vimu player they'll likely don't support these properties.

RE: Android TV + Vimu MP + .srt not working - Webslinger - 2023-09-06

Dank je Niels.
Mag ik je ook nog vragen hoe een complete link naar een film of ondertiteling er uit ziet zoals hij van de server naar de client / videospeler wordt gestuurd?
Dus zeg ik heb een film genaamd "X" op mijn server staan.
Zeg X.mkv met als locatie c:/FILM/X.mkv

Hoe wordt dat vervolgens gecommuniceerd aan de client of de videoplayer?
Wordt dat dan als een gewone netwerk link verstuurd net als bij een gedeelde folder bijvoorbeeld of doet de server dat anders?

RE: Android TV + Vimu MP + .srt not working - niels - 2023-09-06

Antwoord is in het Engels gezien dat onze voertaal is, ook handig als iemand anders dezelfde vraag heeft.

(2023-09-06, 11:48 AM)Webslinger Wrote: Thank you Niels.
May I also ask you what a complete link to a movie or subtitle looks like as it is sent from the server to the client / video player?
So say I have a movie called "X" on my server.
Say X.mkv with location cConfused-faceFILM/X.mkv

How is that then communicated to the client or video player?
Is that then sent as a regular network link just like a shared folder for example or does the server do it differently?

We send the Jellyfin direct play URL to the app together with some other info (like the position to start playback from and subtitles). This means the file is always proxied through your Jellyfin instance.