Jellyfin Forum
Media both a Movie and TV name incorrectly ID's as a movie, and can't change? - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+---- Forum: Media Scanning & Identification (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-media-scanning-identification)
+---- Thread: Media both a Movie and TV name incorrectly ID's as a movie, and can't change? (/t-media-both-a-movie-and-tv-name-incorrectly-id-s-as-a-movie-and-can-t-change)

Media both a Movie and TV name incorrectly ID's as a movie, and can't change? - ricks333 - 2023-09-10

So I have installed the TV DB plugin, then created a library that is Content Type: Movies and Shows, and then scanned the folder. 

I have Season 1 of Supergirl recorded. It shows up as Supergirl 1984 with the blue circle to show there are 11 sub items. When I select it, under "Version" I have all the episodes

However, the cover art is the movie. I'd like to get it to display it as the TV series. 

However, if I select "Identify" I'm presented with IMBD, TheMovieDB, and The MovieDb Box Set as options (with no options for the TVDB). 

When I search on "Supergirl" I get only movie results back (unsurprising, given I'm only searching movie DBs). 

My suspicion is that once it was initially identifed as a movie, I can't get Jellyfin to search with the TVDB. If I try to edit the metadata, again I get the option for the movie dbs, but not the tv DB. 

I have that same problem with Gunsmoke and the Rookie, but not with How I Met your Mother or Big Bang Theory. 
My file structure is: /mnt/mythtv/jellyfin/Default/Supergirl
file names such as 'Supergirl - 2016-01-25 - Strange Visitor From Another Planet.mpg'
(where the mount is to a mythtv folder on another server, populated by mythfill)

The working directory example is :
/mnt/mythtv/plex/Default/The Big Bang Theory with files such as: 
'The Big Bang Theory - 2019-04-18 - The Inspiration Deprivation.ts'

It looks at least like everything that has a name that's a movie AND a TV show has problems. Only a TV show works fine. 

Thanks for any insight.

RE: Media both a Movie and TV name incorrectly ID's as a movie, and can't change? - TheDreadPirate - 2023-09-10

The mixed shows and movies library type unsupported and it is highly suggested that you keep shows and movies separate. The library exists almost exclusively for people migrating from Plex as a temporary landing point.

RE: Media both a Movie and TV name incorrectly ID's as a movie, and can't change? - jimmyjammy - 2023-09-10

If you have a dedicated TV"Shows" library - add your shows (Gunsmoke, The Rookie etc.) to that library & do a scan to get the correct metadata from TVdB. Then add it back into your mixed library & it will display correctly.This is just a workaround & might only work if you have "Nfo" selected for metadata savers. Interestingly, any future episodes or seasons of a show can just be added to your mixed library directly to get the correct metadata. It's only new shows you add that require this process.
Cheers & hope this helps

RE: Media both a Movie and TV name incorrectly ID's as a movie, and can't change? - ricks333 - 2023-09-12

What's really aggravating is not that the data is incorrect. I get that.

It's that I can't edit the metadata, select only search TVDB, etc. I mean, if I could select "Identify" and pick from a list, or only search TVDB, it's rare enough it wouldn't really be an issue.

However, once it's wrong, the options I'm presented don't give me any way to fix it.

RE: Media both a Movie and TV name incorrectly ID's as a movie, and can't change? - ricks333 - 2023-09-12

(2023-09-10, 09:14 PM)jimmyjammy Wrote: If you have a dedicated TV"Shows" library - add your shows (Gunsmoke, The Rookie etc.) to that library & do a scan to get the correct metadata from TVdB. Then add it back into your mixed library & it will display correctly.This is just a workaround & might only work if you have "Nfo" selected for metadata savers. Interestingly, any future episodes or seasons of a show can just be added to your mixed library directly to get the correct metadata. It's only new shows you add that require this process.
Thanks for the ideas. Questions:

How do I add it to one library, then add it to another library? I mean, I'm not adding shows, I'm scanning the folder? 

So I'm using mythlink, and each show has its own folder. I looked up nfo, and see the option to create a .nfo file, I presume I could create a .nfo file in each folder?

(2023-09-12, 03:01 AM)ricks333 Wrote: It's that I can't edit the metadata, select only search TVDB, etc. I mean, if I could select "Identify" and pick from a list, or only search TVDB, it's rare enough it wouldn't really be an issue.
It doesn't even look like, when I edit a library, I get all the options that I could set when I create a library. Weird.

OK, so here's my thought.

I create a new Library, which points to a folder "Shows" and nfo at creation of the library (since for some reason I can't go back and edit a library and change that setting). In the Shows folder, I create a Supergirl, Castle, The Rookie, etc folders. I then link 1 show of each in the respective folder. Then I scan the library, which should in theory create a .nfo file?

Then I take the associated .nfo files, remove the specific episode information, and copy/move the .nfo file into the main library to the associated folder
(in other words, just hacking to get the .nfo).

While I appreciate the thought of separating the video, this is data coming in from mythlink recorded from mythtv.  mythtv places all the default content into the default folder, show or movie, and I'd like it to work when I haven't moved content from Default.

RE: Media both a Movie and TV name incorrectly ID's as a movie, and can't change? - bitmap - 2023-09-13

So...have you tried removing all of the identifying information from the show prior to using "Identify"? I found that if I left IMDb or TMDB or any other identifying numbers in the fields without scrapping all identifying info prior to putting in my own and using a correct identifier (preferably one from an authoritative source like IMDb, TMDB, one of the fields present in the metadata editor for the show), it would continually misidentify the show or movie.

Remove the existing data, add one piece of correct data, all of a sudden, you can get the correct info.