Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: First-Time Setup: slow scanning & screen load times - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: First-Time Setup: slow scanning & screen load times (/t-solved-first-time-setup-slow-scanning-screen-load-times)

First-Time Setup: slow scanning & screen load times - mbklein - 2023-09-13

Hello! I'm a new Jellyfin user, switching over from Plex, which I've been using for the past 3 years. My media library is close to 6 terabytes.

I spun up Jellyfin about 2 hours ago and pointed it at my library. The “Scan Media Library” progress got to about 40% fairly quickly, but has been inching its way up from there excruciatingly slowly. I'm prepared to wait it out; I understand that's a lot of content to scan and metadata to download.

The thing I'm concerned about is the app loading/navigation time. Whether in the browser or in the iPhone app, it takes a good 5-10 seconds after each tap or click before the next screen loads, whether it's an index, details, or whatever. It takes quite a while for streaming to start when I try to play anything as well. My logs are full of "Slow HTTP Response" warnings. Is this just because the initial scan is eating up system resources, or is there something I should be looking at to speed things up? I'm also seeing a bunch of “image extraction failed” and “unsupported codec” warnings in the logs.

Other pertinent information:
  • I'm running in a Docker container on a Synology DS418play with 16GB RAM. (I realize it might be a little light in the CPU department, but it ran Plex like a champ, and it's got hardware encoding.) I'm using host networking and the service has 2048 CPU shares.
  • I've got Jellyfin behind a reverse proxy, but I'm getting the same results on my local network addressing the server directly.
  • The “Refresh People” task seems to be jumping around a lot, getting to (say) 80% and then falling back to (for example) 7% when I refresh the page. I assume it's because the Scan Media Library task keeps adding new metadata and those people have to be scanned?

Do I just need to be patient and wait for this initial scan to end?

Thanks!

RE: First-Time Setup: slow scanning & screen load times - TheDreadPirate - 2023-09-13

It depends on what you have enabled. If you also have extract chapter images enabled, it has to do that for. every. video. 2 hours is a little long, though. Upload your jelly logs to pastebin and link it here.

RE: First-Time Setup: slow scanning & screen load times - paulc - 2023-09-13

Sounds like you need to be patient. First scans can take awhile. 

Absent of logs, it's hard to tell what is going on but my best bet is first run scans

RE: First-Time Setup: slow scanning & screen load times - mbklein - 2023-09-13

Thanks. 2 more hours and it's still only at 57.8%. I'll check my settings and disable stuff that looks resource intensive. If it's still pokey in the morning I'll try to post some logs.

RE: First-Time Setup: slow scanning & screen load times - mbklein - 2023-09-13

Yep, shoulda just waited it out. It finished scanning overnight and now everything's working great.