Can't access to most folders while adding in a library

Hello all! I’ve recently switched from Windows 10 to Linux Mint 20 (I’m quite the newbie at it, so bear with me if something I say sounds stupid).

I’ve used Jellyfin on w10 for many months with great success as it completely replaced plex as my main streaming media system;
I installed it on Mint without many issues by using ubuntu focal’s apt repository (Mint ulyana should be based on focal afterall? I hope that wasn’t my first mistake) and the webpage loads without issues.
After setting up the first jellyfin user I went to add the first library and that’s when I hit my problem: all of my medias aren’t accessible, and I cannot understand why or how, the only things I could do was look on the internet and try commands that were suggested.

For example, my “video” drive is mounted to /media/myname/Video but as soon as I go to /media/myname through Jellyfin library’s explorer it justs… blank out. I need to close the popup explorer and reopen it.

I’ve tried various things: I gave ownership of a specific “Movies” folder to the jellyfin user through the sudo chown jellyfin:jellyfin /media/myname/Video/Movies command, but that didn’t do much.
Reverted that and tried to sudo chmod 755 /media/myname/Video and even tried with the much not-suggested 777 instead of 755 but both wielded no results.
I’d like to add that I kept restarting jellyfin’s service after every change to be sure that wasn’t the issue.

Where do I go from here? any ideas?

I have a Jellyfin server running on MX-Linux without any issues. I had a similar problem when moving from w10 to linux and found it was because my media was on a separate hard drive that was formatted as NTFS. Linux cannot modify permissions on a NTFS drive so I had to modify the /etc/fstab file and change permissions there for the NTFS drive. There are examples of how to do this on the web but be careful because an error in the fstab configuration can cause linux not to boot (learned this from experience).

Hello and thank you for your answer!
Sadly that can’t be the case as I was already having issues with NTFS drives and those were all formatted in the ext4 filesystem before I tried to run jellyfin; my bad as I forgot to specify!

Ok, must be something else then.

If you upload the Jellyfin log maybe one of the experts here can isolate the issue for you :slight_smile:

Thank you very much. Where can I find the Jellyfin log?

My Jellyfin logs are located at /var/log/jellyfin. If you can’t find them there, use the command “sudo find / -name jellyfin” in a terminal.

I thought of something you may want to try first.
Check the version of Jellyfin. It should be at 10.6.4 Click on “Dashboard” the version should be displayed. If it is old then I would uninstall it and use the instructions found on the “Downloads” web page (I used these for my install).

You need to change your command to this: sudo chmod 755 -R /media/myname/Video

This will change the permissions for the choosen folder and subfolders and files in it…

alright, good god, I finally fixed it. I had indeed tried the command with -R in the past (forgot to mention) but what caught my eye is that the Jellyfin explorer wouldn’t show me anything past media/myname, meaning that it couldn’t even see that a /media/myname/Video existed. I simply gave the command sudo chmod 755 -R /media/ and now everything works as supposed. Thank you everyone for their time!

P.s is this supposed to be bad practice/unsafe (to make all the mounted partitions readable by every user)? I don’t know much about IT stuff.