Jellyfin kodi addon , jellycon, errors and question

Hi

1. jellycon Is abandoned? why 2 addons (jellyfin and Jellycon)
    because many sections when opening give an error
    (Movies/A-Z, Movies/Tags, Movies/generes,etc)
  2. in jellyfin addon when you play a movie with 2 qualities you cant choose. The movie opens directly. In jellycon you can choose the quality of the film and play the one you want
  3. when you play a movie and dont finished the status is saved for a few seconds but then it is automatically marked as seen and you can no longer resume the movie. Why is this happening?
  4. why Jellycon has pagination (x items for Page) and jellyfin addon doesnt (more slow)
  5. when kodi goes to sleep and wakes up again, Jellycon asks you to choose the user. why does this happen? with jellyfin addon does not happen un jellyfin addon
  6. If I use strm files, it doesn’t matter to play in direct mode as in default, right?
  1. It’s not abandoned. I frankly just don’t use JellyCon, so I haven’t seen all of what works and what doesn’t. I primarily forked from EmbyCon after Emby changed the URL generation so Jellyfin users could continue using a similar client. I’m mostly relying on user reports to find broken things at this point. As for the reasons between the 2 addons (I help maintain both of them):

• Jellyfin for Kodi - This addon syncs metadata from selected Jellyfin libraries into the local Kodi database. This has the effect of making interacting with it feel very much like vanilla Kodi with local media (shows up under Movies/TV Shows on the home screen by default, virtually no delay, etc). However, it also tends to consume the database and not share well, so if you have local media or something else that interacts with the database directly, you’ll have conflicts and it won’t be happy. The sync process can take some extra time on Kodi startup if you don’t leave it running 24/7, but it’s mostly in the background while Kodi is running.
    • JellyCon - Behaves more like a standard Kodi streaming addon. Media is accessed primarily by going through the Add-ons -> JellyCon menu, however you can set up menu options to link to it and show info on the home screen. It also allows easier switching between multiple Jellyfin servers or users since it doesn’t have to rely on syncing all the metadata down. By not having metadata synced, it has to request info from the server which can take a bit more time when you’re browsing (typically only a second or two in my testing), but you don’t have to wait for the database to sync.

I would like to eventually merge these together into a single addon that’s more versatile, but there’s a lot of code cleanup on both sides before that can happen.

2. I haven’t seen this personally. If I select a movie with 2 versions in JF for Kodi then it gives me a dialog asking which one you want to play. This may be different when the library hasn’t been synced, but I haven’t actually tested that.

3. I’m not sure what you mean. Is this in JF for Kodi or JellyCon?

4. As mentioned above, JF for Kodi’s primary use is syncing the libraries locally. Using it as a purely dynamic addon isn’t used as much. JellyCon more closely matches what the web UI interface (hence the pagination, sorting by letter, etc)

5. I have no idea. My computers don’t go to sleep so I haven’t seen that. Is it possible that you didn’t choose to save the password so it’s trying to re-login every time? In theory it should be fairly easy to make a default user of sorts so it will always log in as the same user if it doesn’t already, but I thought it did.

6. Genuinely no idea, sorry. I’ve never used strm files for anything so I’m not sure how functional they are

1. both. basically when seeing anything in half, it is finished

I’d need logs. I’ve never seen that and I can’t replicate it on any of my test boxes right now. It always saves where I’m at in an episode correctly

I have the same issue with Jellycon popping up and asking to “Select User”. My computers do not go to sleep or hibernate, they are always on. Kodi is configured to play a screensaver when inactive for x amount of time. This seems to be when the popup happens, when you move the mouse or click a button on the keyboard or remote, waking Kodi up from the screensaver.

I disabled easily switch between users in Jellycon’s config thinking this was responsible for the popup but that wasn’t the case. The login is saved and has nothing to do with the popup. The popup gives you a list of user accounts with the first one automatically selected, all you have to do is hit OK but it shouldn’t be asking all the time because it’s already signed in.

I believe it is a bug somewhere.

It looks like there’s code designed to automatically show the user switcher when the screensaver is activated. Likely designed for when this is a HTPC with multiple users, it would make sense to be able to have a switcher when you come back. It says there’s a setting you can flip to disable it.

Tracing that setting through the code, it looks like it’s label is Show change user dialog (could probably be made more clear). Give that a shot and see if it shows any effect.

Yep, I found it under Config -> Events -> Screensaver -> Show change user dialog and it indeed fixed the problem. Not sure why I was overlooking the setting before. Thank you!

“It’s not a bug, it’s a feature!”