Jellyfin local playback from Android TV (shield) always transcodes

I have a local Jellyfin server (Windows server), and an Nvidia shield running the latest Jellyfin app. Whenever I playback a video, it transcodes instead of direct plays. The reason for transcode on the server is “AudioCodecNotSupported”. Is this a bug or something that’s being worked on?

Can you try switching the player option in the app settings?
The options are:

• Auto
  • libVLC
  • ExoPlayer

If it’s on Auto, try the other two options to see which one works best for you.

I just now tried switching from Auto to both of the other player options, and it still transcodes.

I can see the same on my Shield, although I prefer to use Kodi as Jellyfin client on it, an Kodi always playing directly.
You can disable transcoding on user level as a workaround, until this is sorted.

I tried disabling audio transcoding for the user and then files just fail to play altogether. I just get an error that says too many attempts and it failed.

I installed VLC for android and then told Jellyfin to use an external player and every file direct plays fine. However, using an external player obviously has drawbacks: playback position isn’t tracked, episodes aren’t marked watched automatically, etc.

Sorry for the missed follow up here -
Could you post the Media Info of the file? You should be able to get this from the web interface, in the details/… menu from it.

No worries. This happens with literally any file that I play regardless of container or SD vs HD quality. Here’s one that I have been testing with lately though:

Container mkv
PathD:\Movies\Movie (2019)\Movie (2019) - Bluray-2160p.mkv
Size13640 MB

Video

Title 4K HEVC
Codec HEVC
ProfileMain 10
Level 153
Resolution 3840x1608
Aspect ratio 2.40:1
Interlaced No
Framerate 23.976025