Jellyfin local playback from Android TV (shield) always transcodes

I have a local Jellyfin server (Windows server), and an Nvidia shield running the latest Jellyfin app. Whenever I playback a video, it transcodes instead of direct plays. The reason for transcode on the server is “AudioCodecNotSupported”. Is this a bug or something that’s being worked on?

Can you try switching the player option in the app settings?
The options are:

  • Auto
  • libVLC
  • ExoPlayer

If it’s on Auto, try the other two options to see which one works best for you.

I just now tried switching from Auto to both of the other player options, and it still transcodes.

I can see the same on my Shield, although I prefer to use Kodi as Jellyfin client on it, an Kodi always playing directly.
You can disable transcoding on user level as a workaround, until this is sorted.

I tried disabling audio transcoding for the user and then files just fail to play altogether. I just get an error that says too many attempts and it failed.

I installed VLC for android and then told Jellyfin to use an external player and every file direct plays fine. However, using an external player obviously has drawbacks: playback position isn’t tracked, episodes aren’t marked watched automatically, etc.

Sorry for the missed follow up here -
Could you post the Media Info of the file? You should be able to get this from the web interface, in the details/… menu from it.

No worries. This happens with literally any file that I play regardless of container or SD vs HD quality. Here’s one that I have been testing with lately though:

Container mkv
PathD:\Movies\Movie (2019)\Movie (2019) - Bluray-2160p.mkv
Size13640 MB

Video

Title 4K HEVC
Codec HEVC
ProfileMain 10
Level 153
Resolution 3840x1608
Aspect ratio 2.40:1
Interlaced No
Framerate 23.976025
Bitrate 10525 kbps
Pixel format yuv420p10le
Ref frames 1

Audio

TitleEng TRUEHD 7.1 Default
Language eng
Codec TRUEHD
Layout 7.1
Channels 8 ch
Sample rate 48000 Hz
Bit depth 24 bit
Default Yes

Audio

Title Eng Dolby Digital 5.1
Language eng
Codec AC3
Layout 5.1
Channels 6 ch
Bitrate 640 kbps
Sample rate 48000 Hz
Default No

Subtitle

Title English SDH
Language eng
Codec PGSSUB
Default No
Forced No
External No

Subtitle

TitleFrench 1
Languagefre
CodecPGSSUB
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo

Subtitle

TitleSpanish 1
Languagespa
CodecPGSSUB
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo

Subtitle

TitleFrench 2
Languagefre
CodecPGSSUB
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo

Subtitle

TitleSpanish 2
Languagespa
CodecPGSSUB
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo

@anthonylavado Hey, were you able to make any progress on this issue? It’s the main thing that needs to be fixed with the Android TV client IMO.

I found a solution which works for me (without removing the ability to transcode from the user).

Just deactivate “Refresh Rate Switching”. After doing so, my client stopped transcoding everything and only very rarely does so (usually due to subtitles).

Its amazing how seemingly no one tried that.

Until the App can offer the feature without transcoding, the devs might think about deactivating it by default - 99% of the users probably won’t see a difference anyway (other than their servers running hot).

I am so happy that I can use the same account on the go, which I use on my shield at home without having to rely on trakt-sync (which only syncs fully watched content…)

P.S.: The option is beneath Bitstream DTS Audio under Playback