Newly mounted drive not accessible in Docker

I actually figured out the cause of my problem while typing up this question, but figured I’d go ahead and document it here anyway in case someone else runs into the same confusing issue I had. I couldn’t find anything that explained, let alone resolved, what I was experiencing.

1. Running Docker (latest, Version: 10.5.5) on Linux
  2. Set it up about a month ago, and have been very happy with it (As is my wife :slight_smile: )
  3. Added another hard drive to the server. It’s been formatted, and mounted rw. (It’s an actual server, so I didn’t have to power down to add it.)

Initial directory structure:

/home/media/Movies
/home/media/TV
/home/media/Music

The new drive (in bay 5 of the server) is now mounted rw at:
/home/media/Bay5

I then created /home/media/Bay5/Movies and /home/media/Bay5/TV, and tried to add the new folders to the Libraries – but Jellyfin can’t see them.

Permissions on the new folders are identical to the permissions on the previously existing ones:

drwxr-xr-x.  4 [user] [user]   30 Jun 27 22:36 Bay5
drwxr-xr-x. 36 [user] [user] 4.0K Jun 27 22:20 Movies
drwxr-xr-x.  2 [user] [user]    6 Jun 27 20:07 Music
drwxr-xr-x.  4 [user] [user]   58 Jun 16 19:56 TV

Within the Bay5 directory:

drwxr-xr-x. 4 [user] [user] 30 Jun 27 22:36 .
drwxr-xr-x. 7 [user] [user] 72 Jun 27 19:22 ..
drwxr-xr-x. 3 [user] [user] 48 Jun 27 22:36 Movies
drwxr-xr-x. 2 [user] [user]  6 Jun 27 17:08 TV

The volume root in Docker is media, i.e. my original media folder for movies was /media/Movies. When I hit the + to add another folder to the library, Jellyfin did indeed see /media/Bay5 – but not the directories under it, despite the fact that permissions are identical.

It spent enough time pulling my hair out that I eventually created an account here & started typing up a question – and realized in the process that the only thing that couldn’t see the new directories was Docker (actually Podman, since the host is Centos 8). Jellyfin could see the directory I created for the mount, and nothing created after mounting the drive to it. [Yes, I’m learning Docker/Podman at the same time I’m learning Jellyfin.] I’m sure there’s probably a way to tell the OS to tell the Docker image the directory is mounted, but I don’t yet know what that is. So, while nobody was viewing anything I just restarted the Jellyfin Docker image, and Jellfyin is now happily using the additional data on the new drive. Sort of an edge case, but maybe posting this will help someone else save a fistful or two of hair.

1 Like