Specification to make a "Live TV" with m3u (or m3u8)

Hello everybody,

I’m trying to create a Live TV in Jellyfin with my webcam.

For that, I record my webcam with VLC in a mp4 file (x264, mp3).

At the same time I create an m3u file pointing to the mp4 file.

Finally, I create a “live TV” with the m3u file.

But nothing is displayed in Jellyfin (only the loading symbol).

So, what are the specifications to create a live TV with a m3u? What are the accepted formats ?

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi,
Can you share your VLC actions/steps for this and the m3u you created ?
I would to understand what you have done, and see if I can help somehow.

Hello, and thank you.

Vlc:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" dshow:// --sout="#transcode{vcodec="h264",vb="1500",acodec="mp3",ab="128","channels=2",samplerate="44100"}:std{mux=mp4,access=file,dst=C:\Temps\test.mp4}"
(Work well, i can read the mp4 file with vlc)

And the m3u:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:15,test.mp4
file:///C:/Temps/test.mp4

:slight_smile:

For information, I also tried this (with the same result) :
"C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" dshow:// --sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=900,acodec=mp3,ab=128,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:http{mux=ts,dst=:8080/stream} :sout-keep

I got it !!!
This works well !

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" dshow:// --sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=900,acodec=mp4a,ab=128,channels=1,samplerate=44100}:http{mux=TS,dst=:8080/stream} :sout-keep

And m3u with de real IP on lan (and not 127.0.0.1) (IP of vlc server, for me the same jellyfin server) :
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,stream
#EXTVLCOPT:network-caching=3000
http://192.168.0.1:8080/stream


Edit: In fact it works very randomly …

I have done some tests and couldn’t get anything on my end. The VLC command with parameter doesn’t do anything on my PC (no VLC process in Tasks manager but vlc.exe on its own starts VLC normally), I’m not sure why.
I could open the camera directly into VLC via the menu “open capture device”, but here the camera shows with bad refresh rate (probably only settings related but I haven’t spent time on this yet).
Hopefully you will find a way to stabilize it with what you have found so far.