Jellyfin Forum
HDR10+ (plus) support in Windows - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: HDR10+ (plus) support in Windows (/t-hdr10-plus-support-in-windows)

Pages: 1 2

RE: HDR10+ (plus) support in Windows - quattro - 2023-10-04

(2023-10-04, 02:00 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: I will have to double check when I get home.  My setup isn't HDR capable to validate ACTUAL HDR-ness when I play an HDR video.  But if a video direct plays in Jellyfin Media Player (no tone mapping happens server side), whether the rest of the chain honors the HDR-ness of a video is not caused by Jellyfin is my thinking.

That's interesting. So the process of tone-mapping counts as "transcoding?" I haven't paid attention to what JMP reports in terms of playback mode when viewing HDR files (my assumption is that 99% of media files are direct played), so I'll check if it reports direct play when I'm viewing the HDR file of interest. I'm also pretty sure it's not caused by Jellyfin (server) as I occasionally view HDR content on my iPad Pro via Infuse connected to my Jellyfin library, and I've had zero issues with the app playing the media in HDR. Certainly an issue isolated to JMP. 

I suppose it would be useful for me to mention that I've seen people recommend using the MPV Shim for HDR playback as that one does seem to play said files in native HDR (haven't tested this yet but I'm sure the recommendation is valid). I wouldn't consider this to be as playing the media file on JMP as you're essentially casting it to a different application.

RE: HDR10+ (plus) support in Windows - TheDreadPirate - 2023-10-04

(2023-10-04, 02:41 PM)quattro Wrote:
(2023-10-04, 02:00 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: I will have to double check when I get home.  My setup isn't HDR capable to validate ACTUAL HDR-ness when I play an HDR video.  But if a video direct plays in Jellyfin Media Player (no tone mapping happens server side), whether the rest of the chain honors the HDR-ness of a video is not caused by Jellyfin is my thinking.

That's interesting. So the process of tone-mapping counts as "transcoding?"

Again, I need to double check tonight when I get home.  But I am pretty sure that tone mapping does not happen with a direct play.  Only when a transcode happens.  I will monitor my server GPU usage when I play an HDR movie in Jellyfin Media Player on my non-HDR capable setup.

RE: HDR10+ (plus) support in Windows - TheDreadPirate - 2023-10-04

Hold up. Just remembered that my Pixel 6a supports HDR and has an HDR display. Will give that a go when I get home.

RE: HDR10+ (plus) support in Windows - TheDreadPirate - 2023-10-05

Whomp. Just remembered my HDR content is DV7.6. NOT compatible with just about any mobile/streaming device. I need to work on converting that.

BUT it tried to direct play anyway (blank screen). Confirmed no GPU usage.

RE: HDR10+ (plus) support in Windows - quattro - 2023-10-05

(2023-10-05, 01:31 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Whomp.  Just remembered my HDR content is DV7.6.  NOT compatible with just about any mobile/streaming device.  I need to work on converting that.

BUT it tried to direct play anyway (blank screen).  Confirmed no GPU usage.

I've done some testing on my side and have noticed some bizarre results. I've tried to play a movie (John Wick Chapter 3; 4K HEVC HDR10) and while the player reported to be playing the video in direct mode, I had a massive spike in CPU usage that is not present within the playback of non-HDR files. I've tried exploring the JWC4 video playback too (that one specifically has DV but not sure what profile (HDR format: Dolby Vision. Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU)) and there's the same situation with CPU usage spiking. This one, however, properly reported playback mode to be "transcoding." I've also just confirmed that I don't have hardware acceleration enabled so the CPU usage spikes can be confidently attributed to transcoding.

On the other hand, I've had a short conversation with one of the developers of JMP on GitHub and have confirmed that JMP cannot play HDR files without transcoding them to SDR. Here's the link for reference. Look for a comment in the bottom made by a person with a similar username to mine.

RE: HDR10+ (plus) support in Windows - TheDreadPirate - 2023-10-05

That particular dev is definitely the authority. I stand corrected.

RE: HDR10+ (plus) support in Windows - watchmn - 2023-10-11

So in the end, no windows support for both HDR and HDR10+