Jellyfin Forum
No Update to 10.9 - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: No Update to 10.9 (/t-no-update-to-10-9)

Pages: 1 2

RE: No Update to 10.9 - bitmap - 2024-05-18

Backup your data, uninstall + reinstall server and web. Make sure your repos are pointed properly.

Or...try to learn/use Docker. I'm lazy and created an alias of 'dcref' (docker compose refresh) that updates all my containers or 'dcrefs' for a single container. It essentially runs:

Code:
docker compose pull && docker compose down && docker compose rm [all] && docker compose up -d pihole && docker compose up -d --remove-orphans

This pulls the new image, stops all containers, removes them, brings up my Pihole (required for connectivity), then brings up the rest of the project and removes any orphan containers. Standard practice for me when upgrading is:

Code:
dc pull [container] && dc stop [container] | dc down && dc rm -f [container] && dc up -d [container] && dc logs -tf [container]

Pulls new update, stops and removes the old container, brings it back up, and runs a tail on the container logs so I can watch for any errors or issues I need to fix.

No futzing with dependencies, no lost data, easy access to logs, persistent data, way easy to update or revert (as long as you don't engage in breaking changes like 10.8.13 --> 10.9 which are irreversible), easy to monitor, and easy to segment or swarm if you have some weird need for orchestration on your home server.

Running any software like Jellyfin requires *some* amount of research and troubleshooting, but Linux presents its own issues...frequently.

RE: No Update to 10.9 - TheDreadPirate - 2024-05-18

(2024-05-18, 07:48 PM)HikariNoKitsune Wrote: Yea... IDK about anyone else, but nothing works for me. Good to know that the server itself won't just, tell you when there's an update... and when doing normal practices for 'updating/upgrading', nothing is actually upgraded or updated lol...
For my case... i was on 22.04. Didn't get any notification by either Ubuntu nor Jellyfin that an 'upgrade' was required. 22.04 is LTS and still supported till 2027.... so... its weird that jellyfin isn't supporting it while stating 'we only support lts versions'... I upgraded from 22.04 to 23.04 only to find out that this isn't actually an LTS version for some reason... so I tried to upgrade from 23.04 to 24.04... and no dice. guess they just won't allow that. so i upgraded from 23.04 to 23.10, then from 23.10 to 24.04 LTS. Still nothing.
What's weird, is that when i try to update it, or just re-install it, it is telling me that it is using Jellyfin Ubuntu 10.9.2. However, its like nothing is 'actually happening'. The web client when going to the Dashboard, still just says 10.8.9.... If i look at the versions on the server itself via CLI, it very clearly shows "Server: 10.8.9" but "web-client: 10.9.2".... So I'm getting the impression that the server just, isn't actually updating for whatever reason.
This is getting insanely discouraging... as I have alot of people who are wanting to use the server, but now can't, because of this horrible upgrade process... Man, I remember back when just doing an apt update and apt upgrade just worked for everything...

@HikariNoKitsune - Ubuntu does LTS releases every 2 years, so 23.04 is not an LTS release. 22.04 is still supported as is 20.04 for that matter.

Also, Ubuntu won't update any 3rd party repos to change what version of Ubuntu your are running. In /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jellyfin.sources, there is a "suites" field where you state which debian/ubuntu version you are on.

Code:
Types: deb
URIs: https://repo.jellyfin.org/ubuntu
Suites: noble
Components: main
Architectures: amd64
Signed-By: /etc/apt/keyrings/jellyfin.gpg

As long as apt is actually updating, it should pull down the new jellyfin manifest and update jellyfin. If one of the apt repos is misconfigured it can prevent ANY apt manifest updates. UNLESS you, at some point, told apt to never update jellyfin. You can lock versions for specific packages.