Jellyfin Forum
Recommended HDR -> SDR tone mapping settings? - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Recommended HDR -> SDR tone mapping settings? (/t-recommended-hdr-sdr-tone-mapping-settings)

Recommended HDR -> SDR tone mapping settings? - LeviSnoot - 2023-09-17

I'm never quite sure which tone mapping parameters will do the best job at accurately convering HDR content to SDR. So I thought I'd ask here. This is especially because, lately I've been working with HDR files in Photoshop and Premiere, and it stunned me a bit how little effort it takes to tone map well there. All you really have to do is make sure the correct color profile is applied to the document/sequence and from there, it's all done automatically. It also looks great, like I'd expect native SDR content to look.

Right now I'm using the VPP Tone Mapping in Jellyfin, at default settings (Brightness Gain: 16, Contrast Gain: 1), and I get acceptable results for the most part. Sometimes I do feel like the video is a bit darker than it should be, and perhaps a bit too contrasty as well.

Before I migrated to a dedicated server for JF, I used the native tone mapping settings, and had okay results with the following parameters:

Algorithm: Mobius
Mode: Auto
Range: Auto
Desat: 0.5
Peak: 100
Param: 0.3

I also applied similar settings in JF Media Player's mpv.conf file, again with decent results:

Code:
# HDR Tone Mapping
tone-mapping='mobius'
tone-mapping-max-boost='3.5'
tone-mapping-param='0.3'
gamut-mapping-mode='perceptual'
hdr-compute-peak='yes'

I do feel like these settings can be improved though, especially after seeing the results I get in Adobe apps. Any recommendations?

RE: Recommended HDR -> SDR tone mapping settings? - LeviSnoot - 2023-09-17

For the sake of completeness I'll attach a sample below. Doing this was a good idea because the results of the tone mapping settings I have are a lot worse than I initially thought... Yikes.

Adobe:

[Image: IDwawjY.jpeg]

Jellyfin Native Tone Mapping:

[Image: pVmDbLu.jpeg]

MPV/Jellyfin Media Player:

[Image: XAJuwGV.jpeg]

Jellyfin VPP Tone Mapping:

[Image: nTElTBe.jpeg]

I think what I'd like is somewhere between the first and second image. Adobe has a good image in general, but is maybe slightly oversaturated/bright (there's a lot of color noise in the grain for example), and it looks like the highlights are clipping a bit. The native tone mapping settings look pretty nice to me, although I feel they're still a bit flat.

RE: Recommended HDR -> SDR tone mapping settings? - grabbend - 2023-11-27

Do you have any updates @LeviSnoot?

RE: Recommended HDR -> SDR tone mapping settings? - LeviSnoot - 2023-11-29

(2023-11-27, 11:24 AM)grabbend Wrote: Do you have any updates @LeviSnoot?

Unfortunately no, hopefully someone will provide some good examples to try here eventually. Until then, I feel a bit out of my depth.