Jellyfin Forum
Windows Installer for 10.8.12 removes Library - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Windows Installer for 10.8.12 removes Library (/t-windows-installer-for-10-8-12-removes-library)

Windows Installer for 10.8.12 removes Library - Kubwa - 2023-11-09

Hello everyone,

as requested by joshuaboniface iam starting this thread.

I run a Windows 10 with the latest updates.
Two days before patch 10.8.12 was released, i did a clean install of 10.8.11 with the x64 windows installer from the official website. I started to configure everything and to build my library.
My library folder and the metadata and everything are located inside the installation folder of Jellyfin.

When 10.8.12 was released, i downloaded the 10.8.12 Windows x64 installer and followed the update routine: "just install it". When the installer was running the uninstaller of Jellyfin 10.8.11, what automatically happened, everything inside the Jellyfin install folder has been deleted, so my library and metadata and config, which was located in there, has been deleted too.

Good i had an backup of everything, so i was able to restore it.

RE: Windows Installer for 10.8.12 removes Library - TheDreadPirate - 2023-11-09

Your database and configs in C:\ProgramData\Jellyfin should have been preserved during the upgrade. I run Linux for my server, but I have a test install on my Windows machine still running .10. I will try to upgrade tonight and see if I can replicate.

RE: Windows Installer for 10.8.12 removes Library - Kubwa - 2023-11-09

(2023-11-09, 06:06 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Your database and configs in C:\ProgramData\Jellyfin should have been preserved during the upgrade.  I run Linux for my server, but I have a test install on my Windows machine still running .10.  I will try to upgrade tonight and see if I can replicate.

Just a little additional info from my side, maybe its important.
I installed Jellyfin to "D:\Jellyfin"
The folderstructure for me looks like:

Code:
D:
  Jellyfin
      Server
        cache
        config
        data
        jellyfin-web
        log
        metadata

RE: Windows Installer for 10.8.12 removes Library - abpjf - 2023-11-09

(2023-11-09, 05:59 PM)Kubwa Wrote: My library folder and the metadata and everything are located inside the installation folder of Jellyfin.

When 10.8.12 was released, i downloaded the 10.8.12 Windows x64 installer and followed the update routine: "just install it". When the installer was running the uninstaller of Jellyfin 10.8.11, what automatically happened, everything inside the Jellyfin install folder has been deleted, so my library and metadata and config, which was located in there, has been deleted too.

Need clarification here as this thread might be relevant (to me, at least) when I do an update.

Do you literally mean that you placed all your media (Movies, Music, etc) content files inside the Jellyfin installation directory? Not in a separate drive directory / partition / path?

RE: Windows Installer for 10.8.12 removes Library - Kubwa - 2023-11-09

(2023-11-09, 06:51 PM)abpjf Wrote:
(2023-11-09, 05:59 PM)Kubwa Wrote: My library folder and the metadata and everything are located inside the installation folder of Jellyfin.

Need clarification here as this thread might be relevant (to me, at least) when I do an update.

Do you literally mean that you placed all your media (Movies, Music, etc) content files inside the Jellyfin installation directory? Not in a separate drive directory / partition / path?

Nope, my media (movie/music) files are located somewhere else. It is just my metadata, config and library information.
My media files were left untouched.

RE: Windows Installer for 10.8.12 removes Library - abpjf - 2023-11-09

thanks for clarifying!

RE: Windows Installer for 10.8.12 removes Library - TheDreadPirate - 2023-11-10

I upgrade my Windows test install from .10 to .12, no problem. But I'm curious if your data directory was moved from D: to your user directory. Another user here had a similar problem and, for some reason, Jellyfin's installer didn't want to continue using C:\ProgramData\Jellyfin and moved his data directory into his user's home directory.

RE: Windows Installer for 10.8.12 removes Library - Kubwa - 2023-11-10

(2023-11-10, 02:17 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: I upgrade my Windows test install from .10 to .12, no problem.  But I'm curious if your data directory was moved from D: to your user directory.  Another user here had a similar problem and, for some reason, Jellyfin's installer didn't want to continue using C:\ProgramData\Jellyfin and moved his data directory into his user's home directory.

I searched in the users home folder and havent found anything. Not in documents nor appdata.
Maybe the problem is related to my constellation.