Jellyfin Forum
Does Dolby Vision get converted to HDR on non-DV television? - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Does Dolby Vision get converted to HDR on non-DV television? (/t-does-dolby-vision-get-converted-to-hdr-on-non-dv-television)

Does Dolby Vision get converted to HDR on non-DV television? - xilex - 2023-11-10

Hi, I have an LG 49UM7300PUA and it supports only HDR (4K Active HDR (HDR10, HLG), HDR Dynamic Tone Mapping). Does content that is Dolby Vision get converted to HDR by Jellyfin if I played it through a supported app on Apple TV? Or do I have to start with HDR content. Thanks.

RE: Does Dolby Vision get converted to HDR on non-DV television? - TheDreadPirate - 2023-11-10

No. Jellyfin (or is it ffmpeg?) cannot convert from one kind of HDR to another.

There are tools to convert DV to HDR10. The documentation is old but I'm working on figuring it out and will write a guide at some point.

RE: Does Dolby Vision get converted to HDR on non-DV television? - Vacendak - 2023-11-10

(2023-11-10, 06:35 AM)xilex Wrote: Hi, I have an LG 49UM7300PUA and it supports only HDR (4K Active HDR (HDR10, HLG), HDR Dynamic Tone Mapping). Does content that is Dolby Vision get converted to HDR by Jellyfin if I played it through a supported app on Apple TV? Or do I have to start with HDR content. Thanks.

"It's complicated", especially, because i've overlooked the "on AppleTV" part Winking-face. So the following is more general:

Currently, Jellyfin can only do tonemapping into SDR, and you need a GPU to actually do that. ffmpeg can tonemap into SDR and HDR, so this is likely something that jellyfin will support at some time in the future, just not right now.

But, depending on your DV Source, this isn't at all relevant to you! There isn't just "the DolbyVision", it has multiple profiles with vastly different capabilities (If you want to know more), the worst being profile 5, used by streaming-services, which uses a proprietary color-encoding, this you *have* to transcode to watch it on a non-DV-Hardware (otherwise it looks horribly green/purple tinted).

The other profiles (mainly 7.x and 8.x) are basically normal HDR10/HDR10+ videostreams, with *additional* DV-information that's just ignored by a device that cant handle them. Those streams should play in HDR.

Now, back to your AppleTV, i'm not sure about the models, but at least the latest model does support (only!) DolbyVision Profile 5, and i *assume*, it can tonemap this down to HDR10

TL; DR: You will have to try it yourself. Best case scenario, everything plays in HDR, because Profile 5 is tonemapped in hardware by the Apple TV, and Profile 8 contains HDR!

RE: Does Dolby Vision get converted to HDR on non-DV television? - xilex - 2023-11-10

(2023-11-10, 05:21 PM)Vacendak Wrote: TL; DR: You will have to try it yourself. Best case scenario, everything plays in HDR, because Profile 5 is tonemapped in hardware by the Apple TV, and Profile 8 contains HDR!

Thanks for the helpful information! I did not realize it was this convoluted. If for whatever reason a media file does not play back correctly (color-wise), it will looking greenish or purplish, correct?

RE: Does Dolby Vision get converted to HDR on non-DV television? - nyanmisaka - 2023-11-10

Currently jellyfin-ffmpeg supports DV P5 to HDR already, but I don't plan to enable it until the transcoder is overhauled.

RE: Does Dolby Vision get converted to HDR on non-DV television? - Vacendak - 2023-11-14

(2023-11-10, 10:15 PM)xilex Wrote:
(2023-11-10, 05:21 PM)Vacendak Wrote: TL; DR: You will have to try it yourself. Best case scenario, everything plays in HDR, because Profile 5 is tonemapped in hardware by the Apple TV, and Profile 8 contains HDR!

Thanks for the helpful information! I did not realize it was this convoluted. If for whatever reason a media file does not play back correctly (color-wise), it will looking greenish or purplish, correct?

Yes, thats right, for Profile 5, there it's really obvious when it does not play correctly, it's unwatchable. The other Profiles should play eighter in HDR or (worst case) in non-tonemapped SDR, which isnt great (low saturation, not much contrast), but it's at least watchable.

If you want to test it yourself, here you can find DV5 and DV8.1 Testfiles, directly from the horses mouth Winking-face

In general, MediaInfo is the Standard-Tool for something like that, there you can see, what DV Profile a file uses, if it has a compatibility layer and so on.

If you test this, please, report your findings, there are a lot of other people with a similar configuration (non-DV-HDR TV and a Player with "unknown" capabilities) :-)

/V

RE: Does Dolby Vision get converted to HDR on non-DV television? - xilex - 2023-11-17

(2023-11-14, 04:44 PM)Vacendak Wrote: If you want to test it yourself, here you can find DV5 and DV8.1 Testfiles, directly from the horses mouth Winking-face

In general, MediaInfo is the Standard-Tool for something like that, there you can see, what DV Profile a file uses, if it has a compatibility layer and so on.

If you test this, please, report your findings, there are a lot of other people with a similar configuration (non-DV-HDR TV and a Player with "unknown" capabilities) :-)

/V

Do you know how to load these files? They all return 403 errors when I copy the link and try to navigate to it.

RE: Does Dolby Vision get converted to HDR on non-DV television? - tmsrxzar - 2023-11-17

for profile 5 test files https://www.demolandia.net/4k-video-test/dolby-vision/page-1.html

they aren't labeled but if you browse through you might find a 8.1 somewhere else on that site, i couldn't locate any