Jellyfin Forum
Transcoding issue in v10.8.12 - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Transcoding issue in v10.8.12 (/t-transcoding-issue-in-v10-8-12)

Transcoding issue in v10.8.12 - vitalessandro - 2023-11-21

Hi all,

I'm running Jellyfin on a Synology in docker. Getting hardware transcoding to work with Synology's proprietary Linux distro is a bit tricky, but had worked fine up until now. After upgrading to version 10.8.12 however, I get errors trying to play most files that need transcoding (using the web player e.g). The error message is along the lines of 'Cannot play back file, no compatible format found / server isn't sending one'.

The transcoding logs show the following (right at the end after the ffmpeg configuration):
[AVHWDeviceContext @ 0x558ef899c440] Failed to get number of OpenCL platforms: -1001.
Device creation failed: -19.
Failed to set value 'opencl=ocl@va' for option 'init_hw_device': No such device
Error parsing global options: No such device

Downgrading the docker container to use Jellyfin v10.8.11 works just fine, and every file is transcoded as exptected.

On a sidenote, how can I verify that transcodes are indeed using hardware transcoding? What expressions do I need to look for in the logs?

For now, I'll just use the previous version, but I wanted to know if anybody else experienced this. If not, I might open a thread on Github. Anybody know what I should look for to try to find the fault?

RE: Transcoding issue in v10.8.12 - TheDreadPirate - 2023-11-21

When 10.8.12 was released there was an OpenCL driver upgrade from Intel that was included in the official image. In this Open CL update, apparently Intel dropped support for the 4.4.X Linux kernel that is still being used by a lot of older Synology NASes.

RE: Transcoding issue in v10.8.12 - vitalessandro - 2023-11-21

(2023-11-21, 08:02 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: 4.4.X Linux kernel that is still being used by a lot of older Synology NASes.
Oh, not just oder NASes. Synology's entire OS, including their latest version, still use some version of the 4.4.x kernel. Needless to say, I wouldn't buy any of their hardware again...  Face-with-rolling-eyes

Is there any (easy-ish) way to use a previous version of OpenCL for the docker container going forward?

Negative. Its bundled with the image. The devs are discussing how to handle this in future releases but, for now, 10.8.11 is the latest official image you should use.

You could also give the lsio image of 10.8.12 a whirl. I know they handle drivers a bit different. Backup your server config and data before hand.

RE: Transcoding issue in v10.8.12 - vitalessandro - 2023-11-21

Thanks for the info! Seems weird no one else seems to have this issue. Afaik a lot of people are running Jellyfin on Synology... or maybe I just didn't search for the right things.

I generally prefer to use official images whenever possible instead of ones maintained by 3rd parties, but I might look into it if this remains an issue. Do you know if I can use the existing config and just point the linuxserver.io image at the existing volume without issues (including 'backwards compatibility' to return to the official image)?

Also, what are the chances this is going to get resolved in future releases? I planned on continuing to use Synology in the near future for now.

It only happens when you are tone mapping HDR to SDR. Regular transcoding should work fine. If you turn off tone mapping and can tolerate the off-colors it will also work. And you are not the first, btw. There were a couple other posts here and in the Matrix chat regarding this issue.