Jellyfin Forum
Slow Streaming - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Slow Streaming (/t-slow-streaming)

Slow Streaming - Josue Flores - 2023-07-12

Hello,

I have a basic media server set up with jellyfin on my Synology NAS DS115, When I attempt to stream my TV Shows it streams so slowly it's basically unwatchable (90 seconds of buffering for 3-5 seconds of playback). I do not have the same issue with my Movies in a separate folder so does anyone have any ideas of what it may be? I don't have any bandwith limit and the fact that my Movies play completely fine makes me wonder if the issue is my file stricture which is currently set up as follows:

Media -> TV Shows -> Name of TV Show -> Season x of TV Show -> Numbered episodes.

Any help is appreciated thanks

RE: Slow Streaming - TheDreadPirate - 2023-07-12

It sounds like it is trying to transcode. And because the Marvel SoC in the DS115 probably doesn't have a supported GPU for accelerated transcoding, it is doing all the transcoding on the aging CPU.

Then the question becomes, why is it transcoding TV shows but not movies?

For that we would need your jellyfin and ffmpeg logs.

RE: Slow Streaming - Josue Flores - 2023-07-12

(2023-07-12, 06:27 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: It sounds like it is trying to transcode.  And because the Marvel SoC in the DS115 probably doesn't have a supported GPU for accelerated transcoding, it is doing all the transcoding on the aging CPU.

Then the question becomes, why is it transcoding TV shows but not movies?

For that we would need your jellyfin and ffmpeg logs.

Hey there dread thanks for the reply! Can't seem to add a screenshot of my logs but there is a list saying FFmpeg.Transcode

We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again.

Didn't scroll down I've attached the file

RE: Slow Streaming - Host-in-the-Shell - 2023-07-12

Hello, Josue. We're probably going to need the content that is inside those logs, and not a screenshot of the logs available; if you click on them, they should give you some content that you can save in a text file and share. You only need to provide your most recent ones for jellyfin*.log and FFmpeg.Transcode-*.log.

RE: Slow Streaming - Josue Flores - 2023-07-13

(2023-07-12, 08:26 PM)Host-in-the-Shell Wrote: Hello, Josue. We're probably going to need the content that is inside those logs, and not a screenshot of the logs available; if you click on them, they should give you some content that you can save in a text file and share. You only need to provide your most recent ones for jellyfin*.log and FFmpeg.Transcode-*.log.

Hey there apologies,

Here is the most recent log file when I try to play tv shows, transcoding logs are not generated when I play a movie
.pdf   :videos:fa9fcc50-fc05-e51f-a76c-cc804d081a31:hls1:main:0.pdf (Size: 48.66 KB / Downloads: 23)

RE: Slow Streaming - TheDreadPirate - 2023-07-13

So that is the ffmpeg logs, which confirms that it is transcoding, but we also need the jellyfin logs. Which are separate from the ffmpeg logs. The main jellyfin logs give the reason that it is transcoding (unsupported container, unsupported codec, etc). In your screenshot, it is log_20230712.log