Jellyfin Forum
Access Jellyfin with my Smartphone remotly through Internet - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+---- Forum: Networking & Access (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-networking-access)
+---- Thread: Access Jellyfin with my Smartphone remotly through Internet (/t-access-jellyfin-with-my-smartphone-remotly-through-internet)

Pages: 1 2

Access Jellyfin with my Smartphone remotly through Internet - Herojak - 2023-12-25

Hi everyone,

I have successfully installed Jellyfin on my Synology Nas. Now I would like to access the media library outside of the home network from my cell phone. 
Unfortunately I don't have a router with ipv4 so I wanted to ask if there is any other method for this since I'm not very familiar with networking.
I thought about maybe about open an ipv6 port but it is not working at all.

Im really clueless I would love to have your help to solve this.

Thanks,

Herojak

RE: Access Jellyfin with my Smartphone remotly through Internet - TheDreadPirate - 2023-12-25

When you say that you "don't have a router with IPv4", do you mean that your ISP uses CGNAT?

RE: Access Jellyfin with my Smartphone remotly through Internet - Herojak - 2023-12-25

I m not sure what CGNAT is but I think Ive got an only Ipv6 Router with no options to configure something related with ipv4.
If every Router needs an ipv4 then my ISP "Vodafone" probably uses CGNAT

RE: Access Jellyfin with my Smartphone remotly through Internet - TheDreadPirate - 2023-12-25

In Jellyfin, Dashboard > Networking, is IPv6 enabled? If you only have IPv6, that shouldn't be a problem.

RE: Access Jellyfin with my Smartphone remotly through Internet - Herojak - 2023-12-25

I alreade enabled ipv6 in the settings and also allowed external connection to the server.
In the Jellyfin App on my smartphone i cant connect to the server either when I am not in my home network.
I also enabled Ipv6 host exposure on my Router and enabled the given Jellyfin Port in the settings for my synology nas.

RE: Access Jellyfin with my Smartphone remotly through Internet - TheDreadPirate - 2023-12-26

Which IPV6 address are you using when connecting from outside? Your router's IPV6 address or the server's IPV6 address. You should be using your server's IPV6 address.

RE: Access Jellyfin with my Smartphone remotly through Internet - Herojak - 2023-12-26

I set the Jellyfin on ipv6 and unenabled accessing from ipv4 but with the ipv6 address I cant even access Jellyfin in my home network anymore.
I use the Mac address of my DS223j which was found by my router in the Network.
I also used a other Port in Jellyfin therefore i opened this changed Port.
My Smartphone suggest to connect to this given Address but when I try I cant connect to Jellyfin.
I also have no clue how I can connect on my pc to Jellyfin since I cant connect by using the ipv4 Address neither by the ipv6 address.
I tried the address which was suggested by my phone on my pc but it didnt work.

RE: Access Jellyfin with my Smartphone remotly through Internet - Herojak - 2023-12-26

Yet I reinstalled Jellyfin so the problem with accessing Jellyfin in my home Network is solved but I dont know how I can access Jellyfin in my home Network with the ipv6 address. If I can connect through ipv6 I need to solve the problem with accessing Jellyfin with ipv6 outside my home Network. Also where can I find the exact ipv6 address which I can use to connect? I see all those addresses but I cant really understand what they are for and how I need to type it in to access the Jellyfin Server

RE: Access Jellyfin with my Smartphone remotly through Internet - TheDreadPirate - 2023-12-27

You will probably have two IPv6 addresses.  One that begins with FE80 and one that doesn't.  FE80 is the local link address.  The other is your public IPv6 address.  You will need set up a route in your router, similar to port forwarding but not quite, to point port 8096 to your jellyfin server's public IPv6 address.

RE: Access Jellyfin with my Smartphone remotly through Internet - Herojak - 2023-12-27

The right ipv6 Address is 2a02 .... /128 ?
Where i can point the port to my jellyfin Server. 
Is it the ipv6 host exposure like in the screenshot or is it somewhere else in the router settings?