Jellyfin Forum
Hardware Acceleration - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Hardware Acceleration (/t-hardware-acceleration--4776)

Hardware Acceleration - talkativetrex - 2024-03-07

Hi There,

I'm running Jellyfin on linux docker with linuxerver jellyfin version. 10.8.13-1-ls2. 

My docker run command is attached. I've also attached the lspci response on the host (green) and the docker container (black & white).

I keep facing an issue with the following error: 
No VA display found for any default device.
Device creation failed: -22.
Failed to set value 'vaapi=va:,kernel_driver=i915,driver=iID' for option 'init_hw_device': Invalid argument
I have an image with the full output below.

Whenever I enable hardware encoding I get these errors the video fails to play.

Has anyone faced this issue before? Maybe I am enabling the wrong kinds of media to transcode. I've checked and I think this configuration should work.

Thank you

RE: Hardware Acceleration - kandykarter - 2024-03-07

I had this issue recently. I discovered that for some reason my /dev/dri directory was empty. I'd have to do some digging to figure out what exactly I did to solve it, but it might be worth running ls /dev/dri on the host machine to make sure renderD128 and card0 are in that directory.

RE: Hardware Acceleration - talkativetrex - 2024-03-07

(2024-03-07, 05:33 PM)kandykarter Wrote: I had this issue recently. I discovered that for some reason my /dev/dri directory was empty. I'd have to do some digging to figure out what exactly I did to solve it, but it might be worth running ls /dev/dri on the host machine to make sure renderD128 and card0 are in that directory.

I have them in the container with full permissions. Odd

Well, I think it's a GOOD thing that they exist. I don't have much experience with docker run, but in my docker compose I needed to mount /dev/dri as a device. I notice your 'docker run' uses the -v switch, which I'm guessing is setting it as a volume, so maybe that's your issue?

This all said I'm a bit of a docker beginner, so this is just a guess.

(2024-03-07, 05:38 PM)kandykarter Wrote: Well, I think it's a GOOD thing that they exist. I don't have much experience with docker run, but in my docker compose I needed to mount /dev/dri as a device. I notice your 'docker run' uses the -v switch, which I'm guessing is setting it as a volume, so maybe that's your issue?

wow yes, that was a volume, checking now. I'm really going to face palm if thats the case

Worth a shot anyway, I also suspect that PUID & GUID shouldn't be 0, but I'm not sure about that.

(2024-03-07, 05:38 PM)kandykarter Wrote: Well, I think it's a GOOD thing that they exist. I don't have much experience with docker run, but in my docker compose I needed to mount /dev/dri as a device. I notice your 'docker run' uses the -v switch, which I'm guessing is setting it as a volume, so maybe that's your issue?

that was it! thank you for helping me think through this, 

SOLUTION: 
in my docker run i have -v for /dev/driConfused-facedev/dri instead of --device /dev/driConfused-facedev/dri.

Oh awesome, I'm so glad! Cheers!