Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: RKMPP not available - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: RKMPP not available (/t-solved-rkmpp-not-available)

RKMPP not available - Calamity1911 - 2024-04-05

Hello all,

I have an Orange Pi 5 single board computer which has an RK3588 SOC, which should be supported by the recent addition of rkmpp to Jellyfin. I have tried a few different ways to get hardware accelerated transcoding enabled, none of which seem to be working for some reason.

For some context, I am running Ubuntu Server 22.04.4 on kernel 6.1.43-rockchip-rk3588. The exact image I am using was provided by the manufacturers, but I switched from their Chinese APT sources to the official APT sources. I also ensured that I followed the directions posted on the Armbian website to enable hardware acceleration by installing the GPU firmware.

The jellyfin version being used is 10.8.13

I have tried running Jellyfin from within the operating system, from a docker container, and through CasaOS (also docker), all of which have the same results. When I tried to manually run a docker container, I used the script provided here which also did not work.

When I tried to run Jellyfin through CasaOS, I made sure to specify the device files specified by that for-loop in the aforementioned link.

I also tried manually updating jellyfin's ffmpeg binary using apt update && apt install jellyfin-ffmpeg6 -y both when Jellyfin was running locally and in a container.

It also is worth noting that within the Jellyfin logs, I do see the following line:
jellyfin | [11:23:57] [INF] [1] MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.Encoder.MediaEncoder: Available hwaccel types: ["drm", "opencl", "rkmpp"] 

Even though that line was always present, there never has been an RKMPP option in the hardware acceleration dropdown.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

**EDIT**
Added a couple more images showing the 30-40fps transcoding which I suspect to be software transcoding along with the unusually high CPU usage during playback. CPU usage was spiking up to around 80% at the highest I saw.

**EDIT 2**
Added the logs from switching to the unstable version of Jellyfin. RKMPP was an option there and did appear in the logs when Jellyfin was initializing, but when transcoding, it fell back to software AV1 decoding. Looking at the logs, it also looks like it fell back to software x264 encoding as well.

RE: RKMPP not available - TheDreadPirate - 2024-04-05

IIRC, Rockchip support isn't properly implemented in 10.8. You'd have to wait for 10.9, which is right around the corner, or YOLO and install unstable (make backups).

RE: RKMPP not available - Calamity1911 - 2024-04-05

(2024-04-05, 04:48 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: IIRC, Rockchip support isn't properly implemented in 10.8.  You'd have to wait for 10.9, which is right around the corner, or YOLO and install unstable (make backups).

Cool, I'll give that a try later today. I have a couple of college classes, but I might be able to remote into my home network in class lol.

(2024-04-05, 04:48 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: IIRC, Rockchip support isn't properly implemented in 10.8.  You'd have to wait for 10.9, which is right around the corner, or YOLO and install unstable (make backups).

Well, it was actually super simple to get unstable installed.

Bad news is that even though there is an RKMPP option in the hardware transcoding menu now, it doesn't seem to work. It keeps falling back to software decoding, as evident by the ~30fps transcoding framerate and ~80% CPU usage. I'll update the post with the new logs.

RE: RKMPP not available - TheDreadPirate - 2024-04-05

Which version of jellyfin-ffmpeg are you currently running? The number after the dash. 6.0.1-2 was the first iteration of jellyfin-ffmpeg6 that had RKMPP support.

(2024-04-05, 06:12 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Which version of jellyfin-ffmpeg are you currently running?  The number after the dash. 6.0.1-2 was the first iteration of jellyfin-ffmpeg6 that had RKMPP support.

I verified it is 6.0.1-Jellyfin.

I actually was writing an issue report on the Github repository when I decided to scroll all the way down in the playback options, and realized there was a "save" button I had forgotten to press ._.

Welp, after actually saving the settings, it appears to be working now, with transcoding happening at around 120fps.

Marking as solved.

I can't believe I missed a save button lol.