Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: Movies folders not detected on TrueNAS Scale - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+---- Forum: Media Scanning & Identification (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-media-scanning-identification)
+---- Thread: SOLVED: Movies folders not detected on TrueNAS Scale (/t-solved-movies-folders-not-detected-on-truenas-scale)

Movies folders not detected on TrueNAS Scale - SciFinn - 2024-05-05

Hello,
I am trying to setup Jellyfin on my newly set up TrueNAS Scale server. It has 3x 4TB HDDs (RAIDZ1) for data and a SATA ssd for the app pool.
On the RAID Pool I have a dataset for Jellyfin with my movies and series folder. The folder structure for movies and series is in accordance with Jellyfin's folder rules. 
Mounted both folders in the Installation Setup as follows:
Additional Storage, Host Path, Read only
/mnt/Speicherplatzmangel/jellyfin-share/bibliothek/movies --> /movies
/mnt/Speicherplatzmangel/jellyfin-share/bibliothek/series --> /series

In the Jellyfin Web UI, the series folder is correctly detected with all seasons and extras.
The movie folder is shown, but no movies or folders are detected.
In the menu where you can choose the directory, I can go into all the subfolders of the series folder but the movies folder doesn't show any subfolders.
The movies are then also not detected.
I tried to mount a single movie folder (for example "/mnt/Speicherplatzmangel/jellyfin-share/bibliothek/movies/Alien_(1979)") and this worked. The movie was detected.
But I don't want to mount each and every single movie as an additional storage in the apps options.
Both folders are in the same dataset with the same permissions.

Jellyfin 10.8.13.1 
TrueNAS Scale Chart Version: 1.2.8
Catalog: TrueNAS 
Train: community

I don't know how logs can help in this case, or where I could find a log that shows this problem.
I had the same movies and series folder in a previous TrueNAS Scale server (that broke 6 months ago) and there it worked. I didn't change the folder structure since then.
I can access all movie folders via SMB and play the files. So the data is accessable.

Can somebody help me with this, does some of you have the same problem?
Thanks!

RE: Movies folders not detected on TrueNAS Scale - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-05-05

Which user are you running the Jellyfin container as? Which user are you using to upload the content to the Jellyfin share?

This sounds like a permissions issue. Could you take a screenshot of the section where you input the user to use in the container setup? Could you also share a screenshot of the permissions set on the Jellyfin share?

You can try two things:
  1. Set the user for the Jellyfin container as root to see if it gains access to the files.
  2. Reapply the permissions on the Jellyfin share to include the Jellyfin user.

RE: Movies folders not detected on TrueNAS Scale - SciFinn - 2024-05-17

(2024-05-05, 11:21 PM)Efficient_Good_5784 Wrote: Which user are you running the Jellyfin container as? Which user are you using to upload the content to the Jellyfin share?

This sounds like a permissions issue. Could you take a screenshot of the section where you input the user to use in the container setup? Could you also share a screenshot of the permissions set on the Jellyfin share?

You can try two things:
  1. Set the user for the Jellyfin container as root to see if it gains access to the files.
  2. Reapply the permissions on the Jellyfin share to include the Jellyfin user.

Hi, sorry for the late reply.
Your second solution worked. I thought that permissions were being handled automatically when the group "apps" is applied to the dataset. 
When I added user "apps" (user 568 is standard for TrueNAS catalogue installation) with the recursive permissions option I could traverse and see all subfolders. Thanks!

For the TrueNAS catalogue installation it wouldn't let me apply the root user.