Jellyfin Forum
installation - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: installation (/t-installation)

Pages: 1 2

installation - wbravin - 2023-09-07

Hello all

New to this environment. sorry if this question has already been answered

I am running truenas core (13.0.u5) as a proxmox 8 vm 

I added jellyfin as an addon and it has installed correctly and has given me an IP address

I try to access jellyfin server from a google web page on a win 11 laptop

when i enter the address as 192.168.1.115:8096 i get a refused to connect error

I read many threads that relate to this issue and all speak about firewall (which i know nothing about)
when i go to my firewall setting in my win 11 laptop neither in outbound or inbound I do i see entries for jellyfin

What do i need to do to get this working?

Thank you in advance for you help

RE: installation - TheDreadPirate - 2023-09-07

You need to open the firewall for port 8096 on the jellyfin server. When you setup your jellyfin container you would have opened up port 8096 in the TrueNAS UI.

RE: installation - wbravin - 2023-09-08

Thank you so much for your reply.

I expected such an answer. this is way beyond my knowledge.

As i mentioned this is a proxmox server with an installed truenas core vm.

In truenas there is (as i can see) any place to add a firewall rule to allow port 8096 to pass through.

I verified in the proxmox community and they mentioned that i can add this passthrough via the proxmox gui both at the server level and that of the VM

In the truenas vm I added

Direction: in
Action: accept
source: my router IP
source port: blanc
destination: my jellyfin IP
destination port: 8096
Ennable: check
protocol: TCP

I do not know if this is what you mean?

Should i do port forwarding on my asus router?

Am I on the right track at least?

Once again thank you

RE: installation - TheDreadPirate - 2023-09-08

The source shouldn't be your router's IP. That means it only allows incoming connections to port 8096 from your router. If the source field accepts subnets you should be adding home subnet.

Usually something like 192.168.1.0/24

RE: installation - wbravin - 2023-09-14

Hello all

I finally got to properly install jellyfin and i loaded all the media...Great thank you all for your help

however now i cannot seem to play ant media (music movies or shows including youtube saved videos)

As i mentioned my jellyfin installation is installed ad an addon in a truenas core VM residing on a proxmox server.

Regardless

when i try to play media directly from the server via google chrome on a win 11 pc i get " This client isn't compatible with the media and the server isn't sending a compatible media format"

when i try to play the same media via the jellyfin media player I first get "Playback failed with error "loading failed". Retry with transcode? (Note this may hang the player.) and when i hit enter i get the same error as in the first case.

surely jellyfin media player should play anything on the server

what am i missing?

Thank you in advance for your guidance

RE: installation - TheDreadPirate - 2023-09-14

We would need to see your jellyfin and ffmpeg logs. But it sounds like it is trying to transcode but can't. It wants to transcode because there is some incompatibility with the codec. Jellyfin Media Player relies on the underlying hardware supporting accelerated decoding of whatever codec you are using. We I would also need to know what hardware is in the computer you are trying to play on and info about the media (codecs).

RE: installation - wbravin - 2023-09-14

(2023-09-14, 11:19 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: We would need to see your jellyfin and ffmpeg logs.  But it sounds like it is trying to transcode but can't.  It wants to transcode because there is some incompatibility with the codec.  Jellyfin Media Player relies on the underlying hardware supporting accelerated decoding of whatever codec you are using.  We I would also need to know what hardware is in the computer you are trying to play on and info about the media (codecs).

Hello and thank you

first my gear
Server :dell r720 running Proxmox 8. On proxmox I am running OPnsense (not deployed). Home assistant OS and truenas core both as VM.

The server has 16 total core 128GB ram 3X6tb hgst and 3X2tb hgst

Proxmox passes through 1 usb to Home Assistant and a perc 710p HBA to truenas
proxmox also has a BT and a wifi USb
the dell has no video or sound cards installed

Jellyfin was added to truenas as an addon and i'm running version 10.8.10 and mounted 3 dataset Music Movies and Tv Shows

I mounted the 3 datasets again and received the same errors.

I downloaded  the logs to the default subdirectory. How ever i need to figure out how to get to that directory

thank you for your patience 

thnak you for your patience/ /var/db/jellyfin/log var/db/jel /var/db/jellyfin/log lyfin/log

RE: installation - wbravin - 2023-09-29

hello all

I reinstalled jellyfin from scratch. I now have a clean log how can i copy it to here or should i post it to pastebin?

I am running a dell R720 with 128gb ram and 2 6 core intel cpus. On this unit i attached a wifi, bt and zwave usbs

on this HW i am running proxmox 8 and i have the following vms
opnsense (Not running but will be activated in october)
Home assistant as a passthrough to Home assistant Is the zwave usb. all the other usb are shared between all vm
Truenas Core. Jellyfin is added to truenas as a plugin and the datasets are properly mounted. Passthrough to truenas are all the HD (6)

All OS and VM are running on a 240gb ssd

hope this helps

Thank you

RE: installation - TheDreadPirate - 2023-09-29

Pastebin

RE: installation - wbravin - 2023-09-29

(2023-09-29, 03:16 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Pastebin

Hi Thank you for the quick reply

having issues with pastebin. It's telling me that i am exceeding the 512k limit

any suggestion on how i can trim this log or how i can start a new one just with the playback issue. or can i copy and paste to word zip the document and paste here below?

Thank you