Hi, new user here.
I have decided to install Jellyfin and I like it so far, specially hardware transcode without a suscription. Still I am having an issue
/usr/bin/jellyfin --restartpath=/usr/lib/jellyfin/restart.sh --ffmepg=/usr/lib/jellyfin
on htop it shows up multiple times, cpu usage is around 25% , library is EMPTY, no folders, nothing.
tried searching forum but not answer so i created a topic.
installed on a debian machine
any suggestions, appreciated.
Hi, new user here.
Im not sure, but try and disable IPv6:
Open anl (CTRL + ALT + T and write:
sudo nano /etc/sysctl.conf
On an empty line write:
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
Use these keyboard shortcuts to save and close nano editor:
CTRL + O (Gemmer) og CTRL + X (Luk nano)
enable it by entering this command:
sudo sysctl -p
Not tested on Debian, but worked on my Raspbian (Based on Debian)
thanks, but stll no difference
after restarting that and jellyfin, same issue
I am having the same issue. Just installed 10.5.5-1 in Ubuntu 20.04. I haven’t configured anything, haven’t added any directories to scan, simply installed from the jellyfin repo per instructions and the bare install keeps CPU (i7-4770) slightly busy at ALL times.
This was my attempt to jump off Plex but I don’t really want my computing resources being used for no reason. I guess I’ll try Jellyfin again maybe in a few months or so.
- What does Jellyfin’s log file say that it’s doing?
- Precisely which instructions did you use to install (there’re several sets floating around)?
I’m onto my second Jellyfin installation (after a complete hardware upgrade) on far more restrictive hardware than what you’re using (ESXi VM with only two CPU vcores and 4Gb RAM) and it doesn’t flinch - idles at between 0% and 0.3% CPU usage.
Yeah, I have to agree with @Cognicom here - that is not typical, and is not something we’ve seen in other installs (and we set up a bunch of blank installs regularly to test things).
I am keeping Jellyfin after all. As I disabled remote access CPU usage went down. It is still not entirely 0 when idle but it is acceptable.
I wonder why simply enabling remote access adds so much overhead.
Did you already have port 8096 forwarded from your router? Because it’s not straightforward to change Jellyfin’s HTTP port, and because most users are relative newcomers to packages like this (and therefore use trivial passwords), it wouldn’t surprise me if your machine was being pummelled by hack attempts.
If you didn’t already have the port forwarded, then there’s obviously something else there that’s a concern. Jellyfin’s log files (when remote access is enabled) may hold a clue; if they don’t, some deep process inspection may be in order, to see exactly what’s eating the cycles.
Neither I had port forwarding set up nor the machine was on DMZ.
To my surprise I just re-enabled remote access and now the CPU utilization stayed low. As it should. Must be something to do with a fresh install.
There seem to be other reports of high CPU usage related to enabled remote connections: https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/issues/2589
Thanks for tracking that down.
From what I can see, it appears to be a problem with UPnP, which I instinctively disable on everything I come into contact with (it’s like clicking a button that says “bend me over and pull my pants down” in network security terms).
The last posts on that thread suggest that the developers are aware of problems and there’ll hopefully be a new commit soon which might address the issue. I must say, I don’t envy the developers - I’ve had to deal with spaghetti legacy code myself, and have in most cases found it far easier to simply re-write from scratch.
FYI, I have “Secure Connection Mode” set to “Disabled”^ and “Enable Automatic Port Mapping” unticked. I can’t remember what they were by default, so you might want to check your settings for those.
^ I use Caddy as a reverse proxy to handle connections from the outside world, so Jellyfin doesn’t need to bother with HTTPS.
Task Manager has a weird bug where sometimes the “Idle” process doesn’t show up in the list, and that causes the calculation of actual CPU usage to get screwed up. I’ve seen it many times, but have able figured out how to fix it from this method. It bought back CPU to normal.