Is API breakage expected when #2872 is finished?

Hello everyone,

I’d like to thank you for your amazing work on this software, it looks and works really great!

I’ve been testing Jellyfin on my local machine, and I was thinking about writing a music player integration of sorts using the HTTP API. While looking for documentation, I stumbled upon this issue, talking about migrating the API to a new framework/library or something like that (I have zero knowledge of C#/.Net, so I got lost on the details).

I was wondering whether this change is just an internal refactor + documentation improvement, or if it will affect the behavior of current endpoints and/or produce new endpoints that supersede the current ones, as if that’s the case I might hold my horses until this refactoring is done. What are your thoughts/advice on this? Would you advice to start a fresh new project using the current API?

Thanks for your help and have a nice day!

We don’t anticipate any changes to the API until version 11 of Jellyfin. Everything we’re doing now is internal refactoring for it to make sense and for it to work properly. It will be backwards compatible for as long as we can make it.

If you’re looking on the music side, I know there’s an officially maintained Mopidy integration that is maintained by a contributor :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good to know, thanks for your response!