Jellyfin and H265

Im running my Jellyfin server on an Raspberry pi 4b 4 GB
Im able to play H265 movies, but Jellyfin is transcoding it.

Does the Jellyfin arm version not support h265 direct play?

Server is transcoding when playing:
Browser (pc), app (tablet and smartphone) and Chromecast Ultra (This devices support h265, but the Jellyfin server dosent seem to use direct play)…

Looks I have a similar issue… Hopefully someone has a solution

So far figured out its related to the jellyfin usermod . Now the server software can’t access the hardware for video encoding what results in transcoding over software because it’s isolated in a docker container. Its my gues …for my situation but maby you have a different setup.
When I find a solution I share it off course

1 Like

Hi,

I’m a new user to Jellyfin also but i found in order to get Jellyfin to stop transcoding, You have to turn off the transcoding within the server side

Go to the dashboard and under users choose the user and under Media Playback you uncheck both Allow Video/Audio playback that requires transcoding. If you use VLC your Atmos DTS-HD/X should work.

Hope this helps.

Are you using a Raspberry PI 4b?
I don’t have success with HEVC… i have disabled transcoding and currently working on converting my medias video to H264 and audio to AAC audio so Jellyfin can play it direct (Works like a charm)

Hi,

No I don’t use the rasberry4 pi sorry.

I found this though hope it helps.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=246443

Nice to hear they are on it :smiley:
As i read thru the forum thread, im wondering… The Jellyfin Media Server has en ffmpeg-jellyfin package… Why not use ffmpeg just… Then people can add what every support they wish… Currently my Raspberry Pi 4 is encoding audio to aac with the libfdk_aac encoder, but only because i compiled ffmpeg… else the ffmpeg dosent and then theres the Jellyfin ffmpeg package… Just wondering…
But i can live with the current state… Just think the Jellyfin Media Server is the best choice!

The HEVC hardware uses custom pixel formats that ffmpeg doesn’t understand.
This isn’t a problem for kodi as it can pass them as opaque buffers to mmal_render component for display.

ffmpeg needs a pixel converter to get frames into standard YUV420P format which will allow ffmpeg to be used for transcode and ffplay. This is being worked on. But that format conversion will be too slow for real time 4K video (and possibly also 1080p).

vlc is being worked on to support hw decode and display of the opaque buffers that kodi uses and that is our recommended solution for HEVC playback from the desktop.

FFmpeg is still lacking proper support for RPI4 HEVC HWA Decoding.

1 Like