PIN access and other security options

Hey all. Long time Plex user here dipping my toes into Jellyfin…

(Plex is still my main media driver for watching content, but they are having an issue right now streaming to Google Devices and thus I was looking for other solutions.
I briefly tried Emby as well, and although it is definitely more polished than Jellyfin, I was having some issues with the casting too which it seems I am not with Jellyfin. So, for the meantime I am going to be running Jellyfin side-by-side with Plex and who knows - maybe I will make the full switch as features improve!)

Question:
I am trying to figure out how the security PIN is supposed to work. I was trying to make it so that I didn’t need to login on my LAN, but it doesn’t seem to function that way. Before I mess around too much with it I wanted to have a description as to how it is currently supposed to behave.

I am also looking for a way for users on my local network to not have to use any name/password (or at least password), preferably bypassing login altogether locally. Ofc, I still want remote users to have to login to the server with their account.

I’m sure I’ll have a bunch more questions, hopefully the community is responsive!

Thanks.

I think we were looking at this but it was a bit tricky. Let me get back to you.

1 Like

Any more input on this?

I’m not even sure how this feature is supposed to function.
It seems to me that if I login, whether I am local or remote my session is somehow always cached (cookie?) and I don’t seem to have to login again on the same device unless I sign out first.

But, this PIN option seems to infer that I would never need to login when accessing from LAN?
But, with multi-users you still would need to select/type in the user you wish to connect with, right?
So if that’s the case you still need to choose a user and then just enter a PIN instead of a password?

IOW, I’m not sure why logging in with a PIN is smarter/easier/better/different than logging in with your password.

Can you describe how the feature is meant to work, and then I can definitively state if it seems to work or not.

thanks.

Right - sorry, it’s been tough to respond lately (and I should get more of the main team members on the forums).

The PIN function (sometimes referred to as Easy PIN or Easy Password) is primarily to make it easier to login from devices (like Android TV, or Roku). In these cases, it acts like a replacement for the full password. When enabled, you can choose to login with either option.

Right now it’s not working in 10.4 (we need to fix some auth code).

I should add - we’re unsure on the other uses, as it needs to be more thoroughly tested. Auth is one of the things we’ve struggled with a bit, because of the need to re-write a lot of it.

Makes sense.
Thanks.