Thank you for Jellyfin! Some questions around transcoding behavior

Hi!

Firstly, I must say - THANK YOU - so much to the Jellyfin developers for this wonderful application.

I have been a staunch Kodi user for many years, but seeing an increasing number of Smart devices that did not support the Kodi client, I had to abandon it. Then I moved to plex - for about 30 seconds - and abandoned that due to the ridiculous advertising and data surveillance. I had just about given up hope of getting a unified media platform for my home until I came accross Jellyfin.

I’m happy to say I had the server up and running on a VM and my media imported in all of about 30 minutes. The only thing that fooled me was the iOS app requiring the port-number for the server address which is completely undocumented - could I suggest the tool-tip is updated to mention you need the server port?

Anyway, aside from that, I’m up and running on all bar one of my devices - just waiting for the WebOS client to get accepted by LG and I’ll be 100% there. Feels great!

I do have some questions on transcoding that I hope someone can answer - I want to avoid transcoding as much as possible as the server running Jellyfin is a VM on my NAS which is not that powerful and all my users are LAN based so there are no bandwidth issues to consider.

What I’m noticing is that files I would normally expect to play native are being transcoded for the iOS client. I have another media app on the iPhone/iPad ‘oPlayer HD’ which is more basic and can only connect directly to NFS shares (no indexing/media info etc), however it is able to play back the content in it’s native x264/x265 format. However playing the same file in the iOS Jellyfin client results in transcoding. If I disable transcoding, the file does not play at all. Why is this?

My guess is that ‘oPlayer’ has these codecs internally in it’s iOS client and Jellyfin does not? But I know that iOS supports x265 decoding so why can’t this be enabled?

Also - possibly a feature request - is it possible to detect when an transcode is resulting in a loss in quality? Like if a 4k file is being transcoded to a lower resolution? Or will this never happen?

Thank you!!

EDIT: Also tested that the iOS client will not playback my files in re-mux only mode either - only full transcoding. This is using approx 60% cpu on my NAS for one client.

Welcome :slight_smile:

The port number is 8096 for http, but you can see more under settings in jellyfin server…

Related to LG WebOS you can use DLNA or Chromecast (I do both).

Sounds like the content is not supported, please give some media info.

I belive you always loose when its being transcoded, but you cna set the level in JF settings.

I use Vorbis audio and H264 video using a raspberry pi 4b as server, but the pi does the encoding and then i can direct stream. Transcoding is disabled

It seems that anything with an input format of H265 (hevc) is being transcoded to H264 to play on the iOS client.

For a 1080p H264 input file it direct streams (just converting the audio)
Stream mapping:
Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (dts (dca) -> mp3 (libmp3lame))

For a 2160p H265 input file is transcoded to H264
Stream mapping:
Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (hevc (native) -> h264 (libx264))
Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (eac3 (native) -> mp3 (libmp3lame))

Which is odd - because the iOS browser is one of the few that actually does support hevc! https://caniuse.com/hevc

Try to go to Jellyfin servers playback settings and see if H265 / HEVC is enabled.

Many options may need to be enabled by you and or configured to fit your hardware.
I have tried also to use h265, but so far with no success. I have also tried vp9, buy it had bugs, but i just updated to Jellyfin 10.7.0 RC3 10 hours ago and today i will see if some of the bugs may have been fixed.