What is Trakt used for?

Hi guys,

So bit of a weird question but I get what trackt is but then I think what is its use for when Jellyfin and other media centres keep track of what you have watched so what is the benefit or even point of using Trackt, I’m just trying to get my head around what are the benefits?

Thanks

Trakt (https://trakt.tv/) is a website that “Automatically track what you’re watching. Find where to watch TV & movies and discover what’s hot.” Jellyfin will send information to your Trakt account about what you are watching.

I don’t use it anymore. Actually deleted my account a couple months ago. The purpose is supposed to make you be able to organize what you are watching, what you have watched and going to watch.

I can see its service 5 or 10 years ago but not really sure if it is necessary these days. I guess if you use multiple devices and media centers or services that can be linked to Trakt, it is ok.

Cheers mate and that is what I thought, couldn’t see much use for it. Just wondered why people still used it, I guess it has it’s uses for some.

You could view it as a backup of your watch status. Being able to just point whatever media center solution you want to currently use to it can be nice. Think migrating from one solution to another.
I’m not using it, but I think it maybe also has social features? Follow what your friends are watching etc. maybe